UKC

After Joe Kinder, we are all guilty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 26 May 2018

Perpetuating the green and ethical themes ...

https://www.outdoorjournal.com/slider/joe-kinder-lynch-mob-business-usual/

( quote from the article : )

Don’t tell me how hard you climb. Tell me how you plan to change the world.

How can you use climbing as a tool to be a better human?

How can you take the minimalism of “fast and light” and apply it to your own consumptive life?

When you travel to climb, how will you make it worth the carbon footprint?

When you write about a place, how can you protect it from exploitation?

What can you do to improve the lives of others less fortunate?

How can you fight to protect the public lands where you recreate?

How can you fight to honor and vindicate the indigenous peoples those public lands were stolen from?

Post edited at 08:53
 dunnyg 26 May 2018
In reply to LeeWood:

I think your post is really thoughtful, we do really need to think of all the indigenous people we displace from almscliff, and we must keep reading these repetitive articles which people are writing essentially to make money from, whilst complaining about the industry and people they make money from. Yawn. 

Chris_Mellor 26 May 2018
In reply to dunnyg:

Neat sarky comment on tw*ttery in first post.

Removed User 26 May 2018
In reply to LeeWood:

Well I suppose we could show nature more respect by not drilling holes in the rock and putting bits of stainless steel in, stripping off trees and shrubs from crags, "improving" access, that sort of stuff.

...and then encouraging people to go on holiday to these places to make money from them while at the same time buggering up the natural environment we are all supposed to worship but in reality will happily trample over for a bit of an adrenalin rush...

Alternatively we can just write articles about how terrible it all is and agonise over the size of our carbon footprints while searching for the cheapest flight to Greece/France/Wadi Rum...

In reply to LeeWood:

The most interesting thing about your post is the link to the dissection of the Joe Kinder debacle. At last it explains how much self serving bullshit was spewed about it afterwards, including the article on UKC ("the response to the response") and how pretty much everyone has ignored decades of bullying prior to this. The furore was driven by commerce and not morality, but few people have had the nerve to say so. That's certainly worth a read.

OP LeeWood 26 May 2018
In reply to dunnyg:

I'm suspicious of all americans, and all climbers who wear this bright orange helmets - so I don't automatically trust this author; the content is shockingly (and sometimes incomprehensibly) american.

However as a change of theme from previous Kinder revamps here no sexist slant - the bigger picture proposes objectives for men and women alike. And doubtless such things will never be popular; life is already complicated enough without adding in ethics.

So maybe the Outdoor Journal screwed up publishing - or maybe the yanks have more time for ethics than the Brits ? 

Anyway well done for all those likes  

Damo 26 May 2018
In reply to LeeWood:

> ... the content is shockingly (and sometimes incomprehensibly) american.

Well Chris is American, the gear company running the site is American, the issue he's talking about involves American climbers.

Oh wait, you were using 'american' as smug and snarky british shorthand for something you found different or disagreeable to you. Too earnest, too PC, too SJW, too solipsistic, too 'unrealistic'? Or something... YOU have chosen to take that American thing from there and bring it over here to shine a weak yellow british light on it.

> So maybe the Outdoor Journal screwed up publishing -

Yes, they did, and Chris knows he's made some mistakes with this article. He's copping a lot of flak online right now, but mainly for using the insensitive term 'lynch mob' for an issue that bears no resemblance to murdering black people, and for seemingly letting Kinder off for what was clearly a deliberate act of harassment (making a dedicated account for publishing the images, refusing to stop the activity when asked by the target to stop etc).

or maybe the yanks have more time for ethics than the Brits ?

Maybe they have to - because they have more rock, more mountains, more people, more serious social issues, more determination to fix injustices when they can rather than moan about it.

How many Americans come to climb in the UK? To live there? Now how many brits go to climb in the US? Or live there? Maybe America has more to lose, because they have more, and so the comparisons here are hollow and invalid.

Damo 26 May 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> ...and then encouraging people to go on holiday to these places to make money from them while at the same time buggering up the natural environment we are all supposed to worship but in reality will happily trample over for a bit of an adrenalin rush...

> Alternatively we can just write articles about how terrible it all is and agonise over the size of our carbon footprints while searching for the cheapest flight to Greece/France/Wadi Rum...

Presenting two extremes as the only options and therefore a justification for doing nothing in the space between them is not an argument. The issue is not binary.

dilatory 26 May 2018
In reply to dunnyg:

I dunno, as a native of North Wales I do wish you'd all bugger off so I can park in the Pass or Ogwen at the weekend... 

Dogwatch 27 May 2018
In reply to Damo:

> How many Americans come to climb in the UK? To live there? 

Around 170,000 Americans live in the UK.  I dare say at least a few are climbers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_in_the_United_Kingdom

In reply to dilatory:

> I dunno, as a native of North Wales I do wish you'd all bugger off so I can park in the Pass or Ogwen at the weekend... 

If we get residents only parking in the Peak District, maybe a reciprocal arrangement could be negotiated? 

In reply to LeeWood:

"suspicious of all americans"... "shockingly american".

Bigot.

OP LeeWood 27 May 2018
In reply to John Stainforth:

so what label do I get for not liking fluoro orange helmets  

Post edited at 18:34
 dunnyg 27 May 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Why would the Welsh want that   

In reply to dunnyg:

> Why would the Welsh want that   

We all need something aspirational in our lives

Tony Jones 27 May 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> We all need something aspirational in our lives

Which is why it's still possible for southerners to park in the Lake District. (At great expense, obviously.)

Andy Gamisou 28 May 2018
In reply to LeeWood:

> the content is shockingly (and sometimes incomprehensibly) american

Which bits do you find shockingly American, and which bits do you also find incomprehensible?  

OP LeeWood 28 May 2018
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> shockingly

hashtag #cunnies … but ok it could mean those who are cunning

> incomprehensibly

don't spray … I thought only tomcats do that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...