UKC

Almscliffe - busy and/or open?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iank 26 May 2020

Does anyone know if this crag is open and busy. I heard that the farmer had closed access.

Offwidth 26 May 2020
In reply to iank:

Probably more sensitive than usual and likely best avoided.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=465

mrphilipoldham 26 May 2020
In reply to iank:

Logbooks show people are going and have been since restrictions eased.. that said it’s still a crag I’d avoid at the moment. Plenty of better, safer options nearby. 

Davidlees215 26 May 2020
In reply to iank:

Know someone who went up on their bike a couple of days ago and said there were a handful of climbers but nowhere near as busy as usual. He's been annoyed by people night climbing in the past and I'd just prefer to avoid for the foreseeable. 

I've been to caley and Shipley glen on evenings recently and found them fairly quiet if you're looking for bouldering options. 

Sean_J 26 May 2020
In reply to iank:

Open for business as usual - I was tradding there yesterday. Bit busy with non climbers but plenty of space for everyone. 3 or 4 other climbing pairs, one or two bouldering and that was it. Bit greasy though, not exactly prime connies! For a bank holiday it was not as busy as I had expected.

Ilkley quarry was also pretty quiet as far as climbing was concerned last week, we pretty much had the place to ourselves for the afternoon/evening. Definitely quieter than normal.

I think the best idea is to only go to the honeypot crags as every other punter is avoiding them (note - this is a joke, for any UKCer with a sense of humour bypass)

Post edited at 22:40
 jdh90 27 May 2020
In reply to iank:

Stopped there on a bike ride yesterday (tues) about 2pm.  No signs out to say it was closed or asking to avoid the area, farmer knocking about in the adjacent field.  Quite a few cars there but not so many that the parking was silly, and a few climbers present.  Didn't do a detailed survey of the place, just wandered up to eat my sandwiches with a view, but while doing so noticed probably 5 or so lone boulderers, one student-ish aged group bouldering (poss one household if a flatshare) and about 5 teams playing with ropes in a mix of lead and toprope (mixed bag of "they could be a household" and "I suspect they aren't").  Noticed that one of the vehicles was a guide's van but didn't see anyone obviously instructing so could be there for leisure rather than business.  Beyond the climbers, there were a few muggles including one guy asking how the nuts and cams worked, which might suggest he hadn't walked around a popular climbing venue much before, which (plus his accent) might suggest non local travelling to visit the area.  No judgement there - I also fall into that category having driven to start my cycle ride.  Still less busy than my previous visit on a weekend last summer (and on the face of it more responsible - last time I b*llocked someone for walking along the top of the wall) but with more people starting to consider it (I was curious to see how busy it was, you started the post) I suspect the numbers will only go in one direction.  Its possible that all the visitors are playing by the rules/guidelines enough to keep the virus in check, or there could be a bit of social mixing going on with people travelling to meet in small groups and touch the same surfaces.  Perhaps that increases risk to virus/access, perhaps it doesn't or is a neglibile increase.  Who knows?  My takeaway was that I'll still be erring on the side of don't climb at the honeypots, but may venture to my local small crag midweek sometime soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...