/ Any tips for a traumatologist in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rumy - on 14 May 2018

Hi there, I used to hike on the Continent, but due to a knee injury currently cannot do anything much and am struggling to walk. My injury is not properly diagnosed. I got a private physio, but have to find someone who is non-surgical orthopedician and can undertake  a good and more complex medical therapy that will bring me back to my previous shape and then observe my progress and possible setbacks. Will have to do an ultrasound, as well.

Any tips? My GP is very unsupportive. I look at a place that is may be someone's established practitioner own practice, who is not relying on pumping muscles alone, but also understands the healing process of most likely stretched ligament over an old meniscus problem on the same knee.

Becky E - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

I think your problem may be that you're asking for something that doesn't really exist.  In the UK there isn't really such a thing as a "non-surgical orthopedician".

An orthopaedic surgeon will be able to diagnose the problem.  To do that, they will examine you, and they may arrange for some imaging (x-ray, ultrasound, CT, MRI - depending on what they think the problem is).

They will then be able to tell you how it can be treated (surgery, injections, physiotherapy, etc).  If you require surgery or injections, they will do that.  If you require physiotherapy, they will refer you to a physiotherapist.

Rigid Raider - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

To see an orthopedic surgeon through the NHS you will need to be referred by a general practitioner and if that's not possible you'll need to go private. 

Ron Rees Davies - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

>>My injury is not properly diagnosed.

>>have to find someone who is non-surgical orthopedician

If you don't have a diagnosis how do you know you don't need surgery?

Speak to your GP again, get a referral to an Orthopaedic Surgeon and discuss diagnosis and treatment options with them.

Rumy - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Becky E:

Many thanks. Last year I saw 5 private consultants, who just wanted arthroscopy against all indications. Problem is I got better through manual medicine, injections, acupuncture and physiotherapy, but recently did a skier's movement before I fell backwards as a swivel chair moved behind me ( I wish I got a more heroic story to tell) hurting the healed knee. Most likely, a stretched ligament.

I need a sports medicine doctor, I guess. I got a good physio, but he and I are in the dark due the specialist advice. I am looking for people who might have had similar problems and found the right person to help me heal. For the meniscus I was treated abroad I admit, but the same doctor is not available at the moment and is 2000km away.  Anybody who has used Pure sports medicine or similar?      

Many thanks in advance!

Rumy - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Good point. I know I have not thorn a ligament or a meniscus, but I have caused some damage. Private doctors do not offer alternative to surgery treatments when I got the meniscus tear, which is the initial injury.

I got an ex-Ray under NHS without analysis...I am looking for someone like my physio I could recommend, but with a medical title so they could undertake injections and assign diagnostic tests, as well.

I am hoping to hear from someone who has got similar problems, but was very lucky to find the right help. I live in London. My GP is very unsupportive and thought that someone's private sports medicine's practice could be the solution where you could undergo a continuous observation.  

 Many thanks in advance!

alx on 15 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

Perhaps your best picking up the phone to BMI Healthcare and talking to a consultant whom can put together a diagnostic package for your needs. The key would be to ask them for options,  with associated likely success rates, risks and downtime from activities.

If 5 independent consultants recommend arthroscopic examination then your knee injury is likely to be complex and difficult, hence why they want to stick a scope through a tiny hole in your knee to have a look at exactly what the problem is.

Becky E - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

You've seen FIVE consultants who've all recommended the same procedure to fix the problem.  But you don't want to follow their expert advice, and instead prefer to self-diagnose.

I'm not surprised your GP's unsympathetic.

MattM - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

I feel your pain. After a couple of knee ops myself,  I'd recommend trying non-surgical options first. 

I'v used various consultants and physio's around London. Best by far has been Tom Williams at Activ8 Rehab in Chertsey (Londonish). Very in depth knowledge of knee injuries and rehab, trusted and recommended to me by several orthopaedic consultants. He works with athletes and a lot of wakeboarders so is sympathetic to people who are determined to be active despite possessing "lived in" knees.

Really good practical approach to getting back to fitness.Extremely knowledgeable, full range of diagnostic and strength tests (I was with BUPA and he could also refer for MRI etc.). Far more than a physio, cant recommend highly enough!

Disclaimer: I have no medical qualifications or connection to Activ8 other than being a satisfied customer.

webbo - on 15 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

You are wanting more injections presumably some sort of steroid. As far as I understand there is a limit on the number that you can have as they will end up causing more harm.

Also how do you know that you have just stretched the tendon in your recent fall, you could have enlarged the existing tear.

nniff - on 16 May 2018
In reply to Rumy:

What everyone else has said.  I'm not clear at all why you believe that a magic injection and healing hands will make it all go away.  There's an awful lot that can go wrong with knees that doesn't get better on its own but, in practical terms, the best way to find out what's wrong is to have a little swim around inside and have a look, which is why 5 consultants have said that.  One of the definitions of madness is doing the same thing over and over again in the expectation of a different outcome:  a second opinion is one thing, but 5 opinions is something else.  Maybe you will find a quack who will put banana and marmite paste on your knee, shake your shoulders, say "Om" and turn you upside down to empty your pockets, but I wouldn't bet on it fixing your knee.

Finally, just because you've had one repair to a meniscus, it doesn't mean you don't need another.


This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.