UKC

Ardnamurchan trip report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrRiley 16 Sep 2022

Folks, a few weeks back I had the opportunity to visit the amazing ring dyke crags of Ardnamurchan. I had wanted to climb here for years and it did not disappoint! Unfortunately we only got one proper day in due to weather but hopefully this account, with lots of photos, will inspire others to make the trip to the end of the road and experience the climbing there. Hope you enjoy!

http://mistymountainhop.net/cragging-at-the-end-of-the-world-in-ardnamurcha...

Dave

Bottom Clinger 16 Sep 2022
In reply to MrRiley:

I’ve not climbed in ages, but when I do, I’m going there ! Thanks for the inspiration. 

OP MrRiley 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

You're very welcome! Glad you enjoyed it, such a cool place, looking forward to going back

oscaig 18 Sep 2022
In reply to MrRiley:

Really good read there and glad you had a good trip to my favourite climbing destination on the planet. It might not be the biggest or most technical set of walls, but there's something utterly magical about walking across the fairy ring of the collapsed caldera on the far edge of the west past the abandoned village and climbing those crags of perfect rough gabbro with amazing views out to over a dozen Hebridean islands.

And the sun 'always' seems to shine there - even when the mainland mountains are wet and grey. Just don't tell anyone else though. 

Only shame is that Helen, her Sonachan Hotel and the amazing seafood platters are no more for an apre-climb blow out.

OP MrRiley 19 Sep 2022
In reply to oscaig:

Thanks very much - it is indeed a magical place! We had to make do with dinner in the Kilchoan hotel one night, which was actually pretty good. Another night some friendly locals were doing a charity bbq so we had some superb burgers and a beer with them!

Colin Moody 19 Sep 2022
In reply to oscaig:

> Only shame is that Helen, her Sonachan Hotel and the amazing seafood platters are no more for an apre-climb blow out.

We called in one evening and asked for seafood salad before going to look at a crag, came back about ten o'clock ate it and had a couple of pints.

Sad to see the place now.

oscaig 21 Sep 2022
In reply to MrRiley:

Hi Colin, yes it's a shame as it was a good alternative to Kilchoan.  At one stage she had a camping field and a bunkhouse in addition to the hotel, and even held (crazy/semi legendary locally) annual music festivals - 'Sonafest'. 

Hope all's good with you - is that you moved off Mull now? 

Ian

Colin Moody 21 Sep 2022
In reply to oscaig:

Life's good thanks. House went with the job so when I was offered redundancy it was time to move.

dominic o 22 Sep 2022
In reply to MrRiley:

Enjoyed your report - we made the same discovery earlier this year too. What a cracking spot!

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2022/05/29/ardnamurchan-the-gift-of-the-ga...

Cheers, Dom 

Nathan Adam 22 Sep 2022
In reply to dominic o:

If you get the chance try and get up to Beinn na Seilg, I thought Identity Crisis was as good as any VS pitch I've ever climbed and even better than Yir. The outlook is superb and very unlikely to bump into anyone else, although even the more popular Ring crags are usually empty as well. It's always a great place to be in the spring to build confidence on rock after a season of winter climbing. 

Take boots for Beinn na Seilg though, the trudge across and up to the crags is very wet and boggy without any form of a path. Proper West Coast cragging!

IanMcC 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Nathan Adam:

I was fortunate enough to put up a new route further along Hebrides Wall in 2012, but didn't get on Identity Crisis- partly because it looked pretty full on for VS and had an insitu draw which someone must have retreated from. When I came back and did the route the following year, the quickdraw was still there, which indicates how often the crag got visited.

Nathan Adam 23 Sep 2022
In reply to IanMcC:

Aye Ian, we did your route while we were there as well. I wasn't so sure there would be much gear on it so I solo'd it and enjoyed it thoroughly although it disappears a wee bit higher up but the rock quality is still superb, Unknown Warrior is also a lovely wee route.

It's been a few years since I was there now but I'd like to get back in the spring, those crags are unlikely to ever be popular due to the drive out and the boggy approach uphill but all the better for those willing to trudge off the path.

john345= 26 Sep 2022
In reply to MrRiley:

Great trip report, it's the list once the midge factor drops down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...