UKC

Autolocking Belay Device for Lefties

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 23 May 2022

This may have been covered before but I cant find anything specific, so does anyone have any  recommendations for an auto locking device that is easy to use for left handed people, whilst I am aware that people could argue that the GriGri can be used equally well by left and right handed climbers if using the officially aproved technique, the most commonly used method for paying out quickly does not really work for lefties.

Is there another device that will allow rapid paying out by both right and left handed people, perhaps even one that doesn't require the use of the infamous 'death grip' !

Asbestos underwear deployed !

Suncream 23 May 2022
In reply to GravitySucks:

Supposedly the Eddy is better for lefthanded use:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/climbing/belay-device/edelrid-eddy

I haven't tried it

I'm a lefty, used a friends click up on a sport climbing holiday and found it to be more than adequate and easy to use. No handles, you rotate the entire device to release/ lower and the "snap in to lock" on a fall was superb. not as fail safe as a gri gri in that you can't take your hands off (you shouldn't anyway imo) but that's by the by. 

lieraza 23 May 2022

I found the Beal Birdie quite good to use left handed (not sure if this is officially approved but it worked well). I personally prefer the GriGri in general though and now that the paying out technique is firmly committed to my muscle memory, I've found I can happily use a GriGri in the regular, right handed way.

von_donsburg 23 May 2022

For sport climbing I really like the Jul 2, it handles mostly like a regular ATC except when paying out slack you lift it with your thumb which means you can chuck it out by the armful, very handy depending on how quickly your leader likes to pull up slack for a clip.

And it's ambidextrous so fits your requirements.

I've not tried the mega/giga juls but it looks like they'd handle similarly

misterb 23 May 2022

Mammut smart is nice to use and the black diamond pilot gets good reviews from a friend of mine who has one

Ciro 23 May 2022

As the honourable member mentions above, the click-up - and alpine up - aren't "handed" at all.

They're great devices, and unless you're using a really thick old fuzzy rope you can chuck out slack no problem, with reliable assisted catch. 

The alpine up has the added advantage of a non-assisted mode, and I use it pretty much exclusively now for everything from single pitch sport to multi-pitch trad on double ropes.

Cake 23 May 2022

The Revo is symmetrical.

PaulJepson 23 May 2022
In reply to lieraza:

I also belay left-handed with a tube and just learned to use a grigri the right-handed way. The belaying technique is so different to using a tube device that there's no danger of getting them mixed up. 

Something like the ATC Pilot or Mammut Smart would probably be the easies thing, but not a 'fully' assisted braking device, I guess. 

Morty 23 May 2022

>Autolocking Belay Device for Lefties?

I've been using the Stop-Stop.  It is a Fairtrade addition to the market, largely made out of smashed avacado, hummus and paper from recycled editions of the Guardian.  For every unit purchased, 1% of the profit goes to help set up a troll accounts on UKC to combat right-wing extremist views that seek to make excuses for belay stakes at the top of Welsh cliffs, royal family propaganda, countering advice for second home owners (particularly if they are landlords) and ensuring that any changes to UKC that could lead to an increase in revenue for the site's owners are stamped out. 

Viva la revolution, comrades!

Post edited at 17:27
 henwardian 23 May 2022

If the person is new to climbing I'd be tempted to teach them to get used to belaying in the same way that a right-handed person does. When you are learning a completely new skill that is a 2-handed technique, it's not so much harder to swap over which hand does which thing and it will set you in good stead for the rest of your climbing life.

When I belay indoors on toprope, I often alternate which hand is above and which hand is below the belay device each time I take in slack as it cuts 1 step out of the hand movement process and allows you to belay a bit faster, this is pretty much like alternating between being right and left-handed constantly. Granted top-rope belaying isn't as complex as lead belaying but I'd still be tempted to learn the righty way with the harder learning at the start and the rest of your climbing life being a bit easier.

Bulls Crack 23 May 2022

I use an ATC  which is ambidextrous but not filly assisted as has been pointed out- I much prefer it to a  GriGri though. 

Iamgregp 23 May 2022

I think most of the more modern devices (some of which are mentioned here) are symmetrical so have no handedness…

Personally I use the click up, but you’ve got plenty to choose from in today’s market…

…and they’re all better than a Gri Gri [puts on helmet]

Andy Long 23 May 2022
In reply to Morty:

> >Autolocking Belay Device for Lefties?

> I've been using the Stop-Stop.

> Viva la revolution, comrades!

Used to be one years ago called the Gramsci.

Graeme Hammond 24 May 2022

Right handed myself but would recommend the Click-Up as possibly better than a GriGri as pays out super easily in a way that is more intuitive to someone who has only used an old school stitch plate. It is symmetrical so good for left or right handed. Lowering off and releasing the device after a fall take a small amount of getting used to but no more than any other device, perhaps best to master before you partner is 40m up.

Ps get the normal version NOT the plus which is actually a worse device for paying out

Post edited at 09:17
 Neil Williams 24 May 2022

If by "death grip" you mean holding the cam down, there is a way to use a Grigri without doing that, though paying out would be a bit slower.  Slide your hand down the brake rope as per a tube device, then bring your hand up holding the brake rope and quickly thumb the cam to pay out that length and repeat as necessary.  It's how I was taught to use one, I only found out about the "tunnelling" method later.

If "passive" brake assist is OK, the Mega Jul isn't "handed", it works either side like a tube device.  Same with the Mammut Smart.

Post edited at 09:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...