UKC

Baggy point with dogs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elfchen 13 Mar 2019

Hi I visit UK next week and found someone who wants to climb with me, yeah

he wants to go to baggy point. I do have my dog with me.

Do you know if the area is good accessible for dogs?

And I saw that there is a bird ban starting 15March? Is this right?

Best Birgit

Cheese Monkey 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Elfchen:

Well it depends on the dog of course but I wouldn’t take a dog there personally. 

BMC RAD describes bird bans

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=508

JimR 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

I wouldn't say Baggy is suitable for dogs, in fact its totally unsuitable!

jezb1 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Elfchen:

My dog goes nearly everywhere with me. I wouldn't take him to Baggy though, he'd just be tied up at the top unattended, so not much fun for him.

scott titt 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Elfchen:  The Promontory would be fine with a dog, you could tie it to the belay stakes. Long Rock really bad, the dog would be on a narrow path a very long way above the top of the climbs. There are usually sheep all around at Baggy, the dog would probably have to be on a line all of the time on the walk in.

Baggy is a great place for an introduction to sea cliff climbing. I took some friends from Berlin, they were fairly overawed by the situation despite being old Sachsen climbers.

AlanLittle 13 Mar 2019
In reply to scott titt:

Yeah. I took a mate from Saxony to Gogarth once. He loved it, but was seriously unconvinced about building his own belay halfway up - even though I started him off on Castell Helen to keep the intimidation factor to a minimum.

Post edited at 11:19
OP Elfchen 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Elfchen:

Hey thank you all! This is so helpful. Balu is a greyhound but than I will definitely not go there and check out the other suggestions. Thank you guys

Vance2038 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Elfchen:

Just in case you decide to change your mind.

Baggy is a bad place to take your dog while climbing.

All climbs require you to abseil in which could freak your dog out by not being able to see you. The only place you could feasibly take your dog (without a harness and abbing in wit him) is the promontory. This area often has livestock in it. As i’ve had to say to a few people here in the past, while your dog may be okay with sheep, they aren’t okay with your dog. They will push themselves to the edge of the cliff with a serious risk of some going over. 

Saying all that, i’ve taken my dog up there, i’ve just kept him on a short leash and not climbed!

Have fun wherever you go. The whole North Devon area is absolutely fantastic. Try to get to Black Church Rock or Screda Point for something really special. The rock round here is so grippy i’m always amazed at what you can stand on!

Mark Kemball 15 Mar 2019
In reply to Elfchen:

Vicarage Cliff would be suitable, the dog can run around at the bottom while you climb.

bouldery bits 15 Mar 2019
In reply to Elfchen:

Baggy is not a good dog friendly climbing spot. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...