UKC

Balance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ollie1 21 Jan 2021

How much time to people spend reminiscing or appreciating the routes they've climbed vs scouring the guidebooks for routes to add to their wishlists? 

For me I reckon it's 5% the former and 95% the latter. I think 50/50 would be a lot healthier. 

alan moore 21 Jan 2021
In reply to ollie1:

Much as you dont want to forget your former glories, I find it's not that healthy to spend to much time reminiscing over great routes you have done and how good you used to be.

And yes, I spend way too much time on the toilet. You know, reading guidebooks and planning future routes and scares. Im currently spending all lot of time highballing on Yorkshire Grit. On the toilet obviously.

Lankyman 21 Jan 2021
In reply to alan moore:

> And yes, I spend way too much time on the toilet. You know, reading guidebooks and planning future routes and scares. Im currently spending all lot of time highballing on Yorkshire Grit. On the toilet obviously.

Good training for the real thing!

Steve Woollard 22 Jan 2021
In reply to ollie1:

Depends how old you are, when you're young it's all about the future, when you're old it's all about the past. Sad, but true.

henwardian 22 Jan 2021
In reply to ollie1:

I'd say it's about 3% reminiscing, 25% combing guidebooks, 43% obsessing over the latest project (new or existing), 73% watching videos and looking at photos and going "cool, I wanna climb that!" and 0% training and actually going out and climbing now!

Misha 22 Jan 2021
In reply to ollie1:

it is. 

Tom Valentine 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Steve Woollard:

It might be sad but i don't see anything unhealthy about it - quite the opposite in fact.

I know lots of people who have no interests at all and wonder what they will have to look back on when they are in their final years : at least I've got memories of great days out on the rock, some pretty close calls, some abject failures, some hilarious escapades, some beautiful places and some treasured partnerships to look back on. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...