UKC

Belay bolts at Hawkcraig

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scoth 25 Jun 2018

The two belay bolts at the top of the crag are loose  Hawkcraig (Cranium crack area).  I've not noticed them before, although not been for a couple of years. Seem to have been poorly installed, with washers used to pack out between bolt head and hanger. They spin in place but don't pull out, but would suggest to whoever installed them, it would be wise to remove or replace.

edit just read this too https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/hawkcraig_bolts_-_may_2018-68517...

Post edited at 22:01
 james1978 25 Jun 2018
In reply to scoth:

I would suggest that they don't get replaced.

Mark Bull 26 Jun 2018
In reply to scoth:

They seem entirely unnecessary to me. They are only usable for the two routes that finish at that spot. Although the cracked block that has done long service as a belay point at this part of the crag is now falling apart and somewhat suspect, there are a pair of stakes well back from the edge that are fine for all the routes in this area. 

In reply to scoth:

I've just removed them (by hand, in about 90 secs flat). They were very poorly placed, and if it wasn't for their location I'd have struggled to believe it was a climber that did it. An accident waiting to happen maybe. Plus, as Mark says, totally needless given the nearby alternatives. If the phantom Fife bolter is reading this: Please learn how to place safe bolts. But please don't do it again here or any trad crag, it's inappropriate and unnecessary.

Rog Wilko 13 Jul 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Well done, Dan.

Mark Bull 14 Jul 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Great, thanks for doing that! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...