UKC

Best footwear for the Cuillin ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baileyswalk 28 Mar 2013
Hi Folks,

Just wondering what people would recommend as best for 1 or 2 day attempt on the Cuillin ridge, I have a pair of Sportiva Trango's that are great for scrambling but still quite heavy and clunky, I see approach shoes are a popular choice but that would mean me buying a pair, would it be worth it?

Cheers
 Milesy 28 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Any time in the Cuillin I have always been glad for the ankle support from my big leather boots. Once winter is over my leather boots feel like slippers anyway haha.
 AlanLittle 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Milesy:

I had the opposite experience: did it in big boots and regretted not doing it in fell running shoes. Approach shoes hadn't been invented at the time (early 80s). These days I always use approach shoes for similar alpine stuff (Grade II-III alpine ridge scrambles) and would only ever consider big boots if I were expecting snow.
OP baileyswalk 28 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

I certainly think I would feel more comfortable doing the VDiff climbing in approach shoes but I have yet to test this theory.
In reply to baileyswalk:

A pair of Walsh PBs with slightly worn down studs. (Well they'll be worn down anyway after a day on the ridge!)

ALC
In reply to baileyswalk: I wouldn't recommend anything for a two day attempt cos I wouldn't recommend a 2 day attempt, but for a 1 day attempt Trangos should be fine, or a stiff soled pair of approach shoes, or something like the old KSB boots or Scarpa El Caps or a pair of fabric boots from Garmont etc. As for would it be worth it, no one can answer that for you. They can answer it for themsleves, but not for you.
 Oceanic 28 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

I did it in two days in big boots.

If I did it again I would take fell running shoes and a pair of climbing slippers.

You can get by with just a few slings for runners, but it was really windy when I did it, and the combination of just a few runners, high winds and big boots felt quite exciting on Naismith's Route for an E1 leader.
 Tom Last 28 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

I did it in approach shoes (Sportiva Boulder X) with the inners removed - worked out great.

Not sure I'd want to do the TD Gap in my Inov-8s so I wouldn't recommend fell shoes for it, but obviously some people get on just fine like that.
 wilkie14c 28 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
If dry then climbing/approach shoes are both light and capable. i've done it in 5.10 tennies and they performed well but they are a bit 'flat footed' and i had the soles of my feet aching on the walk out. Perhaps some of the newer offerings from scarpa/Sportiva etc would be even better as they look to have a more built up heel
In reply to baileyswalk:
Guess its personal preference, but myself and a good friend did it in a day last summer in what can only be described as pretty much ideal conditions (95% dry throughout) I wore very light Zamberlain leather walking boots with a vibram sole and Dave wore trail shoes. At the end of a long day we had this discussion and he said he could have done with a bit more ankle support especially on the scree decents. I led TD gap (dry) in my boots and found it ok. Having something with a firm edge to it was definately useful but I was glad not to be wearing my B3 boots that have zero flex!
 Rich W Parker 28 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

In the dry I like 5.10 Camp Fours. Good cushioning, and very sticky.
 JCurrie 28 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
First time I did it was in tennis trainers. Second time I used approach shoes. Carried rock slippers for confidence on decent into gap and naismith's both times.
I think if I could affor a pair of scarpa cruxes I'd use them alone.
Jase
In reply to baileyswalk:

Csn't comment on a two day attempt, but when I did it in June, I had a pair of 5:10 Insights (cheap off a well known auction site!) and found them to be superb, not only for the technical pitches but also for descending on steeping rock.

My partner however was in pretty big walking boots and didn't have too much trouble, but couldn't say how he felt of the technical stuff.

I would say though that a pair of approach shoes are a very good investment either way!

Best of luck.... just take plenty of water!
 Jonny2vests 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:
> (In reply to baileyswalk)
>
> In the dry I like 5.10 Camp Fours. Good cushioning, and very sticky.

Yep. Or Insights.
OP baileyswalk 29 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Tried on a pair of tennies and camp fours today, like the feel of the tennies better but might not feel that after a long day. Both felt big in the toe box tho, have quite narrow feet, any alternatives worth trying for a narrow fit.
In reply to baileyswalk:
I did it in trainers with a pair of old rock shoes in the sack just in case. It was wet on the way up (and quite a bit of the ridge) so I took some dry socks as well and changed into them once I got on to the ridge and past all the bogs. Don't think I would have been as comfortable in big boots.
 Jonny2vests 30 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:

Camp 4s are amazing at smearing and jamming. Tennies are a better all round shoe, you can edge a bit with them, but I prefer the 4s.
 Martin Wing 30 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
> (In reply to baileyswalk)
>
> Tried on a pair of tennies and camp fours today, like the feel of the tennies better but might not feel that after a long day. Both felt big in the toe box tho, have quite narrow feet, any alternatives worth trying for a narrow fit.

Try the womens version of the camp fours for a narrow fit.

martinph78 30 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk: If you are happy with the boots you have (and you say that they are great for scrambling) just use them. Seems expensive to buy approach shoes for one day, especially when you get up there and find just as many folk wearing boots
 awhitby 30 Mar 2013
Another vote for 5.10 tennies here. I've taken them on the ridge wet and dry and felt confident.
OP baileyswalk 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Martin Wing:

> Try the womens version of the camp fours for a narrow fit.

Not an option, I have huge narrow feet, size 45.
In reply to baileyswalk:
> (In reply to Martin Wing)
>
> [...]
>
> Not an option, I have huge narrow feet, size 45.

I found the Camp Fours quite a sloppy fit for my feet, and a bit clompy. The Sportiva Boulder X are a much more precise fit for narrow feet. They were great for scrambling in Skye.
 thomm 31 Mar 2013
In reply to baileyswalk:
I did it last year in one day in scarpa approach shoes sized to be comfy - they were great. My friend opted for very snug fitting tennies and was in agony by the end. Your feet will swell over 15 hours!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...