UKC

Best guidebook for Sicily?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ChrisEastbourne 13 Jan 2017
Hey! I'm going on a one week climbing trip to San Vito in Sicily with my girlfriend. We're probably only going to be sport climbing, and probably won't explore other areas of the island. Any recommendations on the best guidebook? I've been looking at these two:

http://www.rockrun.com/book-store/europe/climbing-in-sicily
http://www.rockrun.com/sicily-rock

The first has way more pages, but covers the entire island. Which will be better? My girlfriend is quite new to leading, and will want to practise on the easiest climbs we can find (like 2s or 3s if possible!), I climb up to 7a, so if one of them has more diversity in the grades it covers that would be interesting to know as well. Thanks!
 GrahamD 13 Jan 2017
In reply to ChrisEastbourne:

We were there a couple of years back and had both the (an older version) local area guide and the (an older version) larger guide. The local guide seemed more accurate in detail and when we managed to scrounge a loan of the latest local guide it was better still. If you want to stay local (there is plenty there for a good week) then I'd get the local guide.
 HansStuttgart 13 Jan 2017

The second is very good. Clear photo's of the crags and strawberry recommendation.

There is a fifth edition out now, for sale in the climbing shop in San Vito.

Hans
 seankenny 13 Jan 2017

I have a copy of the first guidebook, new and in pristine condition. If you are interested drop me a mail..
 Andypeak 13 Jan 2017

If just staying San Vito and only interested in single pitch sports routes I'd go for Scilly Rock. If not the other one. I've been going twice a year for about 3 years now, every time I go the guide book is out of date.
 scott titt 13 Jan 2017
Sicily-rock.
ChrisEastbourne 14 Jan 2017

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like, since we're probably sticking to single pitch in San Vito, I'll just buy Sicily Rock. Thanks again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...