UKC

Best place to live in for trad and bouldering near Bradford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 10 Apr 2012

Hey all, particularly Yorkshire folk.

I'm moving up to West Yorks sometime in the summer, and I really value having local (after work) cragging, and access to grit and limestone within an hour. Nearby bouldering/soloing is particularly important.

Given my experience of driving (well, sitting in my car) in West Yorks so far I definitely want to be on public transport to Bradford (working/studying there), but I'm pretty certain I don't want to live there. So, I'm thinking of renting somewhere in

- Shipley/Saltaire?
- Pudsey?
- Bramley?

What do you reckon is the best place, in terms of access to climbing (including walls), transport to Bradford, being friendly and pleasant (or at least not a dump), having decent pubs?

And do you know anyone who'll have a room to rent?

Cheers,
Jon
 Tall Clare 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Saltaire has the glorious Fanny's Alehouse and it's a very nice spot, though can be a little on the 'we're web designers and we knit our own yoghurt' side. Saltaire's prettier than Shipley, if these things concern you.

Don't know much about Pudsey and Bramley.

A little further out you've got Skipton and all its attendant pleasures, though your nearest wall will be a 10 mile drive (or train ride) to the Climbing Barn at Crossflatts, just outside Bingley. There are decent pubs here, and lots of cragging within very easy reach. Direct train to Bradford too.
OP Jon Stewart 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks Clare. I think I will probably look at Saltaire, as while it may be very piss-takable, I am also probably a bit like that and might be more likely to meet similar people there (even if I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it). Bit worried about rent prices though, but I'll check'em out for sure.
 Tall Clare 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Don't be embarrassed - it just seems worth saying as some people hate that sort of thing. I think I fall into that category too

If you've not been there before, the bookshop at Salts Mill is brilliant.
 NorthernGrit 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'd add Baildon and possibly Guiseley and Menston your shortlist and strike off Bramley.
 Mike Stretford 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: Hebden Bridge? It's a bit further out but it is on a direct line to Bradford. I think it's nicer than Saltaire and I've heard they knit the best yogurt north of the Watford Gap. Quality boulering about 3 mile from centre.
 Liam M 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: Pudsey and Bramley are ok, but rather more scruffy and rough around the edges than Shipley/Saltaire, and more awkward to get to green or rocky stuff from. I live in the next suburb into Leeds from these two, and could probably describe it as 'colourful' - not unpleasant, but don't expect your neighbours to be the most sophisticated or understated.

If you did want somewhere a little more kempt, have you considered the places further along the lines from Shipley? The likes of Burley in Wharfedale or Guiseley seem nice ( though I think the latter may need a train change)
 Sam_in_Leeds 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Liam M:

Liam!

I don't think you can tar Bramley AND Pudsey with the same brush.

The latter is most definitely a lot nicer than the former.

Pudsey's nice though, well the part I grew up in was. A lot cheaper than Guiseley I suspect.

I still think Pudsey is FAR nicer than Shipley tbh altho perhaps the pubs aren't as good.Pudsey does come with some really nice mountain biking (and it's own wall).
In reply to Papillon and all:

I know Hebden a bit and it's certainly excellent for organic lesbian candle weavers (and so I quite like it). I thought it might be a bit far (as with Skipton) but there's nowt wrong with 30mins on the train. And yep, the climbing's certainly great there. But not quite as good access out to the limestone and other places...

I hadn't thought about those places in Wharfdale - I'd kind of assumed they were very expensive retirement-villages, not sure where I got that impression from as I don't know it there at all (just driven through a couple of times). I wasn't that enthusiastic about moving, but getting more so looking at the options. A good part of the country, eh?
 Sam_in_Leeds 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:

What about Farsley rather than Pudsey perhaps?
 1poundSOCKS 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: The Aire Valley generally is good for rail links to Bradford (the trains are not too crowded, I always get a seat), and there are plenty of crags around (just check out the UKC map!)

I've lived in Saltaire, very nice place, very close to Shipley Glen, good bouldering, also close to Baildon Bank, some good trad routes, not such a nice environment (dog sh!t, broken bottles & urchins).

I just moved to Bingley, cheap rental, nice place, I can walk to Shipley Glen or the Climbing Barn if the weathers bad, even getting the train to Leeds and walking over to the Leeds Wall isn't so bad.

Last year I lived in Cononley, a bit further out (obvious travel will cost more), but a lovely village, not far from Earl Crag (it was an hour to walk, so depends what you class as a long walk). I stopped in my camper van on the campsite, fantastic way to spend the summer if you fancy a more basic lifestyle. Otherwise I would imagine it's not cheap to rent.

I found my place on the rightmove website, sometimes people advertise rooms if you want something cheap where you won't have a contract to sign.

Mathew.
 Liam M 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:
> (In reply to Sam_in_Leeds)
>
> What about Farsley rather than Pudsey perhaps?

Farsley doesn't have a railway station - all other places referred to have wy metro stations.
 Sam_in_Leeds 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Liam M:

You're sort of right Liam.

Pudsey has a train station but it's not actually in Pudsey per se. Which could be something to bare in mind re Pudsey. It's a good 15-20 minute walk from the centre of town to the station of a 5-8 minute drive (It's in a funny place)

The station's sort of in Farsley!

You still living in Armley?
 Liam M 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: Technically still in Armley - in reality at my other halfs in Roundhay more often.
 Sam_in_Leeds 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Liam M:

I'm a bit like that Liam, technically in Armley too

Rakim 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Shipley itself can sometimes be a bit rough, but saltaire generally very nice. the houses can be small so looking for rooms to rent may be harder?

easy access to shipley glen though.

the metro trains are quite good too in the area for easy access to most places. Worth checking train timetables.

also keep in mind otley and ilkley area too. dropping over the moor into bradford isn't too difficult and then that gives after work access to ilkely, caley, almscliff

hokkyokusei 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'd go for Saltaire. The train connections are good to Leeds, Bradford, Ilkley, Skipton and beyond. It's generally nicer than Shipley (though bits of Shipley are nice too, particularly the Nab Wood end). Local bouldering on the Glen, and Balidon Bank if you're brave.

I live in Bradford and travel to Saltaire every day, so I'll wave to you as we pass on the train.
 andy 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Rakim: Problem with Otley is no station - you could bike up to Menston I guess, but if I was train commuting I'd prefer to be able to walk. Menston's a nice place, as is Burley (which is far from a retirement village - although a bit of a place for aspirant Ilkley dwellers). I know a lot of folk from Ilkley and some of them are sound - but if you want organic lesbians it's not for you - more likely to get management consultants and hideously competitive parents.

From the sound of it I reckon Saltaire or one of the villages above the Aire valley would suit you fine. Haworth/Oxenhope, as a left field option?
 PontiusPirate 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Blimey, I'm discovering loads of UKC near neighbours!

I live the Bingley end of Shipley and, for all it's faults, it does seem rather, well, central, and it is by far and away the nicest locale for living in with swift public transport into Bradford.

PP.
 Bulls Crack 10 Apr 2012
In reply to NorthernGrit:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> I'd add Baildon and possibly Guiseley and Menston your shortlist and strike off Bramley.

Sounds about right Saltaire/Shipley/Bingley

Calderdale also an option with the advantage you're on the Manchester/Bradford/Leeds line
In reply to Bulls Crack and all:

Thanks for all the replies, read with much interest. It's looking like Saltaire is probably the first place I'll look, since it's so convenient for Bradford and climbing access is very decent. Since I'm on my own and not working, I need to rent somewhere pretty cheap i.e. shared. Also, I think life in a villagey place would be better if there's two of you or as a family (not that I'm out on the pull all the time, just that social stuff to do is quite important).

Pennine 10 Apr 2012
In reply to PontiusPirate: Isn't there a letting office by the Ring O'Bells pub for Shipley area?
 Dauphin 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Menston. I live in north Leeds and spent years working out it is the centre of the Yorkshire climbing universe. Baildon, Caley, Ilkley, Armscliffe, Shipley Glen all within a few minutes, Limestone 1/2 hour away, Peak & the Lakes an hour at the right time of day. Great for a run over Otley Chevin and the wonderous view down/up Wharfedale on a summers evening. 17 minutes to Leeds city centre on the train.

D
Bingers 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Come and join us in Bingley. Get the train into Bratfud and you are on the right side of any Saltaire traffic jams.

5 minutes to The Climbing Barn, 35 minutes to Harrogate Wall, 40 minutes to Leeds Wall.

Not far to The Glen, Baildon Bank, Ilkley, Armscliffe, Earl Crag. Not much further to Embsay, Crookrise, Malham, Trollers, Giggsy, Pot Scar, Austwick, Attermire etc.

On a good run - very early in the morning, I've been in Patterdale in an hour and a half.

Will Hunt 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've just signed for a house in Saltaire (lower village, near the train station) and will be moving there probably in early May. Less than a mile's walk to Shipley Glen. I'll be keen for after work sessions and general crushing out and about if you end up closeby. That goes for other Denizens of Airedale too!
 hoodmonkey 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Halifax is worth a look.

It puts you fairly close to Shipley, Ilkley, Earl Crag, the Bridestones and Widdop.

There is also a crag pretty much in the town centre in the form of Woodhouse Scar - it's not the most scenic but there is tons of great bouldering/soloing and the town itself isn't bad at all.
 hokkyokusei 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Pennine:
> (In reply to PontiusPirate) Isn't there a letting office by the Ring O'Bells pub for Shipley area?

Yes, there are also letting areas on Saltaire High Street and on the edge of the village
 Marc4099 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: Have a look at Eldwick/Gilstead or Baildon, they're a bit more pricey but up out of the valley and it's walkable to Shipley Glen, the moors, train stations to Leeds/Bfd and good schools if that's an issue.
OP Jon Stewart 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Will Hunt:
>
> I'll be keen for after work sessions and general crushing out and about if you end up closeby. That goes for other Denizens of Airedale too!

Yep, will be on the lookout for partners once I'm up. Looks like plenty of friendly folks around!

So much new grit to choose from - really looking forward to exploring it, especially highballing at places like Rhylstone.

MHutch 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I live in Skipton, and I think you're on the right lines with Saltaire, although Saltaire and Shipley do merge at the edges so you need to check out your rental area quite carefully, as it can all change on a street by street basis. However, although a lot of people are quite happy with the crags on the doorstep - Shipley Glen, Baildon etc - they are definitely more 'urban' in character.

If you look at the Wharfedale line, you could do Ilkley or Guiseley with a direct connection to Bradford. That is much handier for Almscliffe, Caley, Ilkley Moor, Brimham, and Ilkley is closer to the Dales for other grit and limestone delights.

You should take a weekend to check these areas out. Some of them were nothing like I expected when I first drove through. Don't bother setting aside time to examine Keighley though.

In reply to MHutch:
> However, although a lot of people are quite happy with the crags on the doorstep - Shipley Glen, Baildon etc - they are definitely more 'urban' in character.

Haha. I have been described as a 'crag snob' in the past, and my previous posts about Shipley Glen have been less than complementary (to be fair, when I went, the first thing I came across as I approached the problems was a man, surrounded by glass and crisp packets, being fellated). Of course, I appreciate that it has some great climbing, but climbing for me is as much about being in great surroundings as the moves themselves.
>
> You should take a weekend to check these areas out.

Will do.

> Don't bother setting aside time to examine Keighley though.

Happy to take your word for it!

andy 11 Apr 2012
In reply to MHutch: Yeah, but Ilkley's...well...Ilkley! They don't call it Richmond-on-Wharfe for nothing...
 alicia 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but if you're thinking of Saltaire, make sure you check out the traffic situation first. A friend's boyfriend used to live in Saltaire and driving there was almost always a traffic queue nightmare, especially at going-home-from-work times. This was about 5 years ago though so I suppose things could have changed!
 PontiusPirate 11 Apr 2012
In reply to alicia:

<waves>

No Alicia, if anything, it's even worse! I walk past the queues most days... this guy's mainly after public transport at peak times, so that's ok.

I'm usually driving outside of peak times, so it doesn't effect me too much.

PP.
 alicia 11 Apr 2012
In reply to PontiusPirate:

Hello! Lovely running photo, by the way.

If the traffic has gotten worse then personally I would go insane living there, even if I did have Shipley nearby as consolation.
In reply to alicia: There's no way I'd try to drive to uni, given my experience so far of West Yorks traffic hell, but I am worried about going insane when trying to get out to the crag after work...

Will just have to suck it and see I think.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I have local knowledge and cunning which makes it all bearable: also heading towards Leeds from Shipley after work isn't too bad (if you time it right).

PP.
In reply to alicia:

Btw - cheers! It's the kind of shot I've been wanting to take for ages, and then a near-perfet opportunity presented itself!

PP.
 Rubbishy 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I live in Silsden - cracking little town / village. got a bloody good pub in the Kings arms, real feeling of community, busy little village centre and is on the Aire Valley line.

it has crags within walking distance and 10 minutes to Earl, Ilkley in fact bloody loads of grit. Lots of mountain biking.

I used to live in Ilkley, which is fine but it can be up it's own arse and there are lots of late middle age women, with faces like a creosoted ball sack driving Range Rover Sports. It is mahoosively expensive, whereas Silsden is good value and we don't have a tip, next to an abbatoir right in the centre of the town :P)
 Bulls Crack 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to MHutch)
> [...]
>
> Haha. I have been described as a 'crag snob' in the past, and my previous posts about Shipley Glen have been less than complementary (to be fair, when I went, the first thing I came across as I approached the problems was a man, surrounded by glass and crisp packets, being fellated).

Yes that was a surprise but the I didn't drop the litter.....
 MHutch 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

>
> Will just have to suck it and see I think.

Is that a Shipley Glen reference? Better than a 'Baildon Bank' I suppose.
 paulshorrock 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

If you are using public transport, it has to be Shipley - the Bradford, Skipton and Leeds/Ilkley train lines all meet there, so whichever way you want to go you won't have to wait long.

Shipley is cheaper than Saltaire - Saltaire is nicer, but World Heritage status pushes up prices.

Despite your initial impressions re Shipley Glen, you can walk there from town in 15 mins.

Driving is an absolute pain at peak times - Shipley is a major bottleneck on a trunk road, and good roads on each side just push all the problem into one place - i.e. Shipley.

As for me, I'm moving from Shipley to North Wales - want to buy a house?

Biddieclimber 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: The place to be is Brighouse - great train and bus links to all of West Yorkshire, and I would have thought much cheaper to rent that the Aire Valley area. Also we have Rokt climbing gym - possibley the friendliest climbing centre in the world!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...