UKC

Best South Coast Bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Barkarzz 28 Jul 2021

Hi everyone! I have recently been given some time off this week out of the blue due to covid and want to get away to the seaside! 

was wandering what bouldering places along the south coast are the best for an intermediate climber that are close for a swim aswell! 

Toerag 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Barkarzz:

You could do worse than jump on a plane to Guernsey if you're 2+2 vaxxed, virtually all our bouldering is by the sea.  I can find mats to lend you and you could get everywhere by bus if you wanted.

seankenny 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> You could do worse than jump on a plane to Guernsey

Should we really be encouraging air travel within the UK given the climate crisis we now face? Especially since there's a ferry to the island.

jimtitt 29 Jul 2021
In reply to seankenny:

Guernsey is NOT in the UK so flying there is fine.

seankenny 29 Jul 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

From a pedantic point of view, correct. But a moronic post in other respects. 

jimtitt 29 Jul 2021
In reply to seankenny:

Climber_Bill 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Barkarzz:

For the South Coast, Dorset is probably your best option. Lots of bouldering on both the east and west coasts of Portland.

seankenny 29 Jul 2021
In reply to seankenny:

> Should we really be encouraging air travel within the UK given the climate crisis we now face? Especially since there's a ferry to the island.

Could one of the phantom dislikes explain their reaction to this post... Is this a discussion we shouldn’t have? Is looking for alternative transport a stupid idea? Do you even believe in climate change? 

Toerag 30 Jul 2021
In reply to seankenny:

As he lives in London and the planes from Gatwick will be full unlike the boat* I suspect the fuel cost per mile is lower to fly.

*My wife and kids went on the fast ferry to France at the weekend. They're only using about a quarter of the seating as they can't clean it fast enough during turnaround and its massively under capacity.

seankenny 30 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> As he lives in London and the planes from Gatwick will be full unlike the boat* I suspect the fuel cost per mile is lower to fly.

> *My wife and kids went on the fast ferry to France at the weekend. They're only using about a quarter of the seating as they can't clean it fast enough during turnaround and its massively under capacity.

Sure -  but that’s a hopefully temporary and contingent state of affairs. And also ignores the marginal costs of travel, which will be low if the boats are under capacity.

Still, the point remains: if we need to change our behaviour and build both new habits and new norms, wouldn’t it make sense to start that now? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...