UKC

Black Cliff Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 harrison 19 Jun 2017
I wanted to go have a look at the finger crack Wolf Whistle at Black Cliff quarry.
I think I found it - as you approach Wyncliff Quarry from Tintern there is a quarry on the left hand side which has large boulders preventing people from parking in its entrance bay.
Just past this on the right hand side is sort of a forestry track with a metal gate where you can park one car without blocking it. (There is a double bend and speed camera sign in front of the gate.
As you go past the gate on the left hand side there is the remains of an old building which has some arches underneath and sort of well in the top. There is a very overgrown wall of limestone wall behind this that extends into the woods. Brambles everywhere.

Is this Black Cliff Quarry? Has anyone been there in years? Access seems ok, but I didn't want to disturb anything if it was the wrong place.

I have the LWV and 2012 supplement which offer no enlightenment on the approach other than its a 1 minute walk in.

bpmclimb 19 Jun 2017
In reply to harrison:

Did you see any bolts? If so it's Black Cliff.
 guy127917 19 Jun 2017
In reply to harrison:

Can't say from your description although it sounds about right- we went there last spring and it was pretty hard to tell from the CC guide where the cliff was given the amount of undergrowth. We did however find some bolts so assumed it was correct and did (a bit) of gardening.
OP harrison 20 Jun 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

I didn't see any bolts. There were quite a few dirty cracks.

I did come across a chalk bag strap near the base of what I hoped was the crag, so I can only assume the worst for what happened to the last climber that tried to climb there.

Heres the street view of what I thought was the entrance https://www.google.com/maps/@51.68011,-2.6763326,3a,75y,324.97h,91.34t/data...
OP harrison 20 Jun 2017
In reply to guy127917:

This building thing would be unmissable if we walked in the same way. I assumed it was part of the old quarry.

I've found this on ordnance survey and I think I walked right into the forest rather than left towards the quarry.

You can actually see the building I'm talking about if you squint at the map (its the corner with the circle on top next to the triangle of paths)
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/51.68035,-2.67690,17

I think I know where to look next time!
pasbury 20 Jun 2017
In reply to harrison:

The building is an old limekiln which I think has been recently exhumed from the brambles. The quarry entrance is a few yards down the road (south), as others have said the bolts give it away. However it's really pretty grotty and overgrown, not been revisited and given an overhaul like Wyndcliff Quarry.
if you follow the line of the crag north and slightly uphill there's a few more loose, overgrown buttresses and even further up a sort of little rift feature where a landslip has occurred. Quite an interesting area geologically but from a climbers point of view far less so.
OP harrison 20 Jun 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> if you follow the line of the crag north and slightly uphill there's a few more loose, overgrown buttresses and even further up a sort of little rift feature where a landslip has occurred.

Thanks! That's sounds like the bit I was looking at - it was very scenic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...