UKC

Blasting music at the Roaches?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WillRhodes 12 Apr 2018

No, unusually, this doesn't regard some guys being a bit thoughtless and blasting some tunes whilst they worked some problems.

Yesterday, there were a band of guys playing music near to the stairs up to the upper tier, as if they were recording a music video. They were playing the same track over and over again, which, I must say, got rather annoying. Despite the three guitarists, all you could hear was the signer and the drums, which was a tad weird.

Out of interest, did anybody else on here experience these guys yesterday - they were around for most of the day - and have any idea what they were actually doing? I'd have thought the Roaches is an odd place to busk...

Wiley Coyote2 12 Apr 2018
In reply to WillRhodes:

Had a similar experience in Ilkley Quarry a couple of years ago. As you say, just the drums and singer audible. Since there was no power the guitars were just miming. Was quite interesting to watch and they were very friendly and even apologised if they were putting us off. Thankfully they only needed three takes to get the shots they wanted.

OP WillRhodes 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Yeah, sounds like the same kind of thing. It was rather odd to see them prancing around with soundless guitars, I must admit.

Unfortunately, this involved a fair few more than 3 takes, including a drone at one point. It could have been far worse, I guess.

In reply to WillRhodes:

had exactly the same thing at cathedral cave in the lakes last year, a guy wearing chainmail was making a music video with a crew of 5 or so filming, flying drones and messing about with lighting. they were there for hours.

was amusing to start with but soon got repetitive. 

Liamhutch89 12 Apr 2018

Check out some music forums and look for anyone having a moan about climbers getting in their shot ruining their art. 

AJH 12 Apr 2018
In reply to WillRhodes:

Hi. I was there. Slightly annoying I grant you but went home and listened to them - the mocking jays. They're actually quite good when you can hear the guitars!

Mick Dewsbury 12 Apr 2018
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Hmm, drones eh?  The Roaches are in a restricted area!

tehmarks 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Mick Dewsbury:

No they're not. They're potentially in a danger area (D304 if anyone cares), which is quite a different concept. I couldn't tell you which bits are or which bits aren't because I can't be bothered to work out where The Roaches are in relation to the coordinates for the centre of the danger area - but it's irrelevant as flying isn't prohibited in a danger area, just ill-advised without further investigation.

toad 12 Apr 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Oddly enough just been in a meeting about this.  (Drones generally, not roaches)Was it part of the SWT managed site? Did it have the potential to disturb nesting birds? Etc etc......

Post edited at 21:08
 tehmarks 12 Apr 2018
In reply to toad:

Apologies - I assumed Mick meant a restricted area as in airspace. There is a danger area somewhere in the vicinity of Upper Hulme due to live firing, but it's not a restricted area.

Becky E 12 Apr 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I think Mick means "restricted" as in the Staffs Wildlife Trust don't allow drones on their land.

tehmarks 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Becky E:

Makes sense. 'Tis unfortunate there is actually a lump of airspace of a related classification in the vicinity that I was able to get confused with!

Misha 13 Apr 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Good to hear flying isn’t prohibited at the Roaches. I earned a few air miles there in years gone by...

Mick Ward 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Misha:

Made me smile...

Mick

OP WillRhodes 13 Apr 2018
In reply to AJH:

I'll have a look. sorta intrigued.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...