UKC

Bouldering Pads in back of Audi A3 Hatchback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Goldsmith 12 Feb 2020

Helloo,

Can anyone comment on whether you can fit any bouldering pads in the boot of an A3 Sportback?

Cheers!

Fishmate 12 Feb 2020
In reply to Will Goldsmith:

I'd expect it to be as large as a Golf GTI boot. If so, a Moon Warrior will fit with parcel shelf in place. Two or three if you take out parcel shelf, but vision will be obscured. I have to put rear seats down to fit a Moon Saturn.

jim jones 12 Feb 2020

I’ve an A3 hatchback (three door sport). My mat doesn’t go into the back, have to drop one of the rear seats and put it in that way. It  fitted in the Golf I owned previously. 

FreshSlate 12 Feb 2020
In reply to jim jones:

> I’ve an A3 hatchback (three door sport). My mat doesn’t go into the back, have to drop one of the rear seats and put it in that way. It  fitted in the Golf I owned previously. 

Yeah I was going to say... A3 boot isn't that big and definitely smaller than a golf. Obviously it depends on the mat, I've got an Ocun Dominator that fits snugly in a boot of a Ford Focus with lots of room on top below a parcelshelf and lives there a lot of the time but did not fit into an older Ford Fiesta which I'd expect to be similar size boot as an A3. A DMM highball on the other hand did fit the Fiesta.

To the OP: Look up the dimensions of your audi and a bunch of mats online? Or wait for a few more a3 owners to come along but they all drive Skodas on here .

peppermill 12 Feb 2020

I had a 2002 model years ago so probably not much help! Obviously it depends on the pad but i remember much in the way of 'Jiggery pokery' as a cockney climbing pal used to say.

Hi, I've been able to get an Ocun Moonwalk in the boot of my A3 Sportback without having to put the seats down. It is a tight fit though and you will need to squash it in a little. Wouldn't want to do this when the pad is very grubby as it will be a pain to clean the boot after. 

Post edited at 19:49
 Dave Garnett 12 Feb 2020

I have old small Metolius pad that fitted in the boot of my A3 but my bigger one needed the seat to be dropped.  

Not a great deal of help without the dimensions, and probably not even then if neither that model of A3 nor that type of pad are available any more!

Adam Long 13 Feb 2020

A Metolius Session fits perfectly in my 5door 8P sportback - I ended up buying it specifically. I can get a Petzl Alto with a bit of a push. Bigger pads like a Moon Warrior won't fit. The issue isn't so much the boot size as the opening which is quite a bit smaller. Supposedly the 2WD version has a bit more depth vs quattro but the opening is the issue.

LastBoyScout 13 Feb 2020

Note that this might depend on whether it's the Quattro edition, or not.

If it is, then the boot floor is higher up, as it needs to fit in the rear diff underneath.

Tom Last 13 Feb 2020

I’ve had six in mine, so yeah definitely. 

Superb, thanks everyone. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...