UKC

Bridging the Converging Walls - The Chasm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Euge 30 Jun 2014
To all you brave climbers that bridged, no make that completed, the Converging Wall pitch on The Chasm, I salute you...

I was there on Saturday and could not leave the safety of the small ledge.
Bridging is not my best skill but how to bridge on overhanging holdless walls is beyond me, especially with no gear!!!
It was so frustrating as I could see the holds above. All I wanted was either a piece of protection or a good foothold to make the move, but no. Ended up lowering off and escaping the pitch.

Trouble is we escaped too far left and couldn't get back on

A great climb but very mentally draining, protection is scarce to say the least. Would love to go back and hopefully some day I will.

Euge

alan moore 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Euge:
Did this about 10 years ago. There was a chock stone about 20 feet up which could be gained by climbing the left wall (looking up the Chasm). Above that wide bridging, with the odd move of feet on one wall, hands on the other, gained a point where you could bridge along toward the back of the Chasm and finally, heave out, on flat holds onto the right wall.
I'm very impressed that you could see some holds! Didn't find a decent one on the entire pitch.
Also, that you found a runner to lower off. The chock stone was the only protection I found and that was too low to be any use.
It's an amazing route, but in retrospect, a total waste of a dry day considering all the other good climbing nearby...
OP Euge 30 Jun 2014
In reply to alan moore:
Cheers Alan... The chockstone is gone now, I found a piece of gear (#4 rock) at the lip of the ledge.
The holds above did look good but then again, from below the pitch looked easy

Euge
 Michael Gordon 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Euge:

How dry was it?
 Callum Smith 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Euge:

Really is as scary as it seems. Needed a good long sit down after doing that one.
Did it a couple of weeks ago and it is certainly a challenge and if I'm honest the pitches that follow were harder.
The trick with converging walls is to convince yourself that the gear is good (which it is, just). Perhaps just as bad on second due to the swing.
Don't hesitate getting back on it though, so worth it. (remember the head nets)
 Col Kingshott 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Euge:
Hello,

We did it a couple of weeks ago. My mate led the pitch and he back and footed it, as did I when I followed. There's decent footholds for this above the left ledge (looking up the route) then above the overhang on the right. He got a small cam in below the chockstone just before the committing step over. The hand holds for the step over aren't great though. Not far above that pitch to the top, I'm sure you didn't want to hear that though!

Col.
 Smelly Fox 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Euge:

I seem to remember some back and footing rather than bridging. Scarey pitch though for sure...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...