UKC

Britain's oldest climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard 261 30 Dec 2012
In a few months our friend will be seventy and still climbing.
How many seventy year olds are there out there still climbing?
Did I mention that SHE is a grandma?
 3leggeddog 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:

Plenty of them.

The oldest active climber I know is a sprightly 82 years old. Do I win a prize?
 Fraser 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:

I don't know how many there are but I suspect more than you think. There are a few guys who climb regularly at my local wall who are probably all in their 70's. Their age doesn't really come into it tbh; they seem to be as enthusiastic now as they were almost 20 years ago when I first saw them climb. I've seen one older woman climbing there too who might also be in her 70's.
In reply to Richard 261:

Bonington's still very active at 78.
 johncook 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261: Go to the Edge in Sheffield at about 10:30 on any day of the week. At 63 I feel like a young kid (Thats why I go there)I get up 6b on a good day, the 'old' group (mostly well past their 70th, thats me sent to coventry!) all climb a lot lot harder. Don't go in summer or reasonable weather, they will be outside doing real climbing!
 john spence 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261: I'm a member of the Chamois mountaineering club and at 63 I'm still in the youth section
slinky wizard 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261: bonnington
 suilven 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:

7a at 70 is the mantra of a few of the guys at our wall. I can only hope I'm half that good when I hit that age! One wee guy in particular is a real inspiration to my partner and I and he is pushing 70.
 ericinbristol 30 Dec 2012
In reply to suilven:

7a at 70 - I like the sound of that...
 johncook 30 Dec 2012
In reply to ericinbristol: I have six and a half years to go and am working rapidly towards 7a at 70. In fact I aim to get it to celebrate being eligible for my state pension. Never give up!
 clochette 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261: 70 is the new 50 isn't it? Why is it more impressive that this is a SHE not a HE or did I misread that? And you can be a grandma before 50 if you've got on with the job! Let's hope we'll all be still climbing in our dotage.
 Camm 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:
chatted to many climbers in their 60s/70s at various grit stone edges, I'll never forget the women who was 60-65 soloing stuff that at the time, I wasn't even capable of leading, also spotted her leading a E3.
 HB1 30 Dec 2012
In reply to ericinbristol:
> (In reply to suilven)
>
> 7a at 70 - I like the sound of that...

. . . as do I - I've missed "6c at 63" but have 4 years plus to get to the 7a (although it might have to be Kalymnos 7a

Camm 30 Dec 2012
In reply to HB1:
you guys have been playing too much bingo by the sounds of it
 rockcat 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261: At 76, veteran N Wales limestone activist, Colin Goodey is still climbing and new routing some 62 years after establishing his first new route in 1950. In that Summer, Colin led the first route on the Great Orme with a single 100 foot length of manilla rope and nailed boots. The route was Pigeon's Chimney VD on the Toll Gate Crags. An inspiration.
estivoautumnal 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:

I climbed Crowberry Gully with TW at the age of 81. That was 7 years ago and he is still active.
 Bulls Crack 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:

The oldest climber is the one having the most fun
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Who's TW?

Tom Weir?

ALC
OP Richard 261 30 Dec 2012
In reply to clochette: I do think its more impressive for a lady. Sorry.
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Plausible, but Tom Weir died in 2006 aged 91.
In reply to Richard 261:

An apology doesn't make sexism okay. Just don't be sexist. Have a look at http://www.everydaysexism.com/
drmarten 30 Dec 2012

Well said, the OP needs to go on a diversity awareness course coming out with that kind of phalli-centric language.
 Jus 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:

how very odd.
 John_Hat 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard 261:

Took my mum to our local wall as was tired of explaining my passtime to her, and thought a demo would solve a lot of problems. She wanted to have a go at climbing, so she did. She was 80. Did a few routes and enjoyed it.
OP Richard 261 02 Jan 2013
In reply to ericinbristol: I've considered your order and decided to continue being sexist Sorry.
Male and female are not the same. They're different.
 GridNorth 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard 261: Would her name happen to be Angela? The Angela I know is around that age and last time I saw her she was leading a 6c on the Penon.
 Graham Hoey 05 Jan 2013
In reply to suilven:
> (In reply to Richard 261)
>
> 7a at 70 is the mantra of a few of the guys at our wall.

Hold on, does that mean 8a at 80?

Yikes!
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Richard 261)
>
> An apology doesn't make sexism okay. Just don't be sexist. Have a look at http://www.everydaysexism.com/

I really don't think they should be promoting sexism.
 MikeTS 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard 261:
I have an 81 yo friend that climbs solidly at VS. (But he's not in Britain.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...