UKC

Burbage overrun - Sun 1st March - warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 09 Feb 2020

I've just come across the fact that there is going to be a major orienteering event on Burbage Moor on Sunday 1st March so I thought I ought to forewarn people of the impact.

Firstly, I've put this in Rocktalk because I think that's where more people whom it might affect will see it.

Some details:

1. It's a big event, that probably means somewhere between 300-500 people running all over Burbage Moor between 10:30 and 14:30. They won't be taking 4 hours each, starts are between 10:30 & 12:30, runs take on average about an hour, and the courses close at 14:30. However, the controls will have been put out before then (maybe even late Saturday) and will be taken in afterwards.

2. Most of the courses have detailed maps for the Burbage Boulders bits. That almost certainly means there will be controls right next to some of the boulders, and (some confused) people will be running around between them.

3. Orienteering courses generally try to avoid routes that are serious, so it's unlikely that they'll be planned so that people are running all around the actual edges in Burbage. However, there could be some controls at the foot of some faces, and there's likely to be an "obvious" route to use to get down from the moor above the South Edge to the valley (and boulders) below.

4. The event is part of Sheffield's month long Festival of the Outdoors. They're even closing the Stony Ridge Road bit of the A625 to through traffic (an indication of it being a major event). Presumably traffic (either direction) will have to go right down to the Fox House Inn rather than being able to cut across the corner.

Now obviously, if the weather is bad, there's unlikely to be anyone bouldering so this should cause no problems. But if the weather's ok and you end up bouldering at Burbage, then please be tolerant and careful not to land on someone running past. Also, please don't move the controls. If there's one right in front of that problem you want to do, then please do some other problems until after 14:30.

I've no idea whether SYO considered the impact on climbers when planning this event, but I would have thought they would because there are many of us who both climb and orienteer. I'm going to email a link to this thread to the event's organiser. Details of the event can be found on SYO's website on https://www.southyorkshireorienteers.org.uk/events/event/776-national-event...

alx 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

Excellent. Just bought a bumper pack of neodymium magnets on amazon.

time to scatter them across the heath!

OP Michael Hood 09 Feb 2020
In reply to alx:

> Excellent. Just bought a bumper pack of neodymium magnets on amazon.

> time to scatter them across the heath!

We don't tend to orienteer with our compasses around our ankles 😁

alx 09 Feb 2020

> We don't tend to orienteer with our compasses around our ankles 😁

It’s to trap your cock piercings.

Andy Hemsted 10 Feb 2020

It's perfect for a new style of biathlon; orienteer in the morning, boulder or climb afterwards. Other suitable areas are Longshaw/Laurencefield, Birchens Moor, Brimham Rocks, Holme Fell/Hodge Close Quarry....

....and Fontainebleau....

lancsmike 14 Feb 2020

Positive post, I would think that no one  involved or not involved ( if they were thinking of a boulder) would take care to be anywhere near the area  especially to park  as Burbage in particularly is notorious for parking. The enforcement  agency have on many occasions fined people for parking on many occasions in the area. I have not been around there for a few years, once well known areas off road to park are an unknown as parking places now  and you may well incur a hefty fine even if all seems legal I would avoid .  Hope the event is fine though.

greg_may_ 14 Feb 2020

I'll more than likely be there running, maybe there can be some sneaky route choices if we take in very direct routes

McHeath 15 Feb 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

>maybe there can be some sneaky route choices if we take in very direct routes

Goliath (E4 6a) has always looked nice and direct to me  

Chris Calow 15 Feb 2020

I'll be there, see if I can find you after the run.

OP Michael Hood 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Chris Calow:

Unfortunately, I've got to be down in London that weekend. 😟 Our visits to grandkids seem to be totally in phase with desirable orienteering events this year but at least playing with them compensates 😁

greg_may_ 23 Feb 2020

Entered today - didn't realise it was a pre-entry race! M40 and Brown. First proper long race of the year if you don't count MMM style races. 

Dave Todd 27 Feb 2020

Good luck to everyone running this event on Sunday!  Looks like it could be great (i.e. a snowy mud-fest!)

(Sadly I've got to drive a group of young orienteers down to London for an event on Sunday - gutted!)

Tom Valentine 27 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Todd:

Do people still wear bramble bashers? As I recall they were pretty effective items.

Dave Todd 27 Feb 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Very much so... and yes, they are hugely effective... I sometimes wish they came up to somewhere around my shoulders!

OP Michael Hood 27 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Todd:

Unfortunately I too have to be in London

greg_may_ 01 Mar 2020

Three hours of toddler related sleep the night before, and after racing the day before, does not a good orienteer make.

A catastrophe of a day, which reached it's epitome as I mispunched control 19. Grumpy does not quite explain how I am.

Tom Valentine 01 Mar 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

What ? You still use punches? I felt for sure it would all have gone contactless by now!

greg_may_ 01 Mar 2020

It's contactless, but the term still stands.

Reach>Talent 01 Mar 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

These things happen; I spent a frustrating 30 minutes trying to find a control during a night event a few years ago, my gps track looked like "spiders web on caffeine" (google it). Great fun isn't it   

OP Michael Hood 01 Mar 2020
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Nothing quite like the frustration of doing a great run except for one leg where you have made such a complete ballsup that the overall result is at best mediocre 😟

Dave Todd 02 Mar 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

Ach - gutting!  The boulder section looked pretty complex, especially moving from 1:10000 to 1:2000 when you're already mentally battered.  There were lots of mp / rtd / dnf on all courses - which shows how tough it was.  My daughter and OH were manning the start for a few hours and were frozen and buffeted before they even started their runs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...