UKC

Caley conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phildavies84 13 Aug 2013
Hi, Im thinking about heading up to Caley this weekend from London. Could anyone comment what condition its in and if we're likley to get eaten alive by Midges? Any reccomendations of a decent camp site near would also be helpful.
Thanks
 pebbles 13 Aug 2013
In reply to phildavies84: bouldering or routes? we were down there in the evening last week and there werent many midges, though there were quite a lot of annoying little black flies - not bitey ones though. boulders were fine, some of the routes (see the thread on noonday ridge)dont seem to have been climbed much this year and are looking very green. be prepared to jungle bash through the bracken and himalayan balsam, its very high at the moment.if the weather is at all humid expect it to stay damper at caley than elsewhere due to the tree cover - if too damp head over the other side of wharfedale to almscliff and you'll be fine
Removed User 13 Aug 2013
In reply to phildavies84: Caley is sweaty and grim this time of year. If you are travelling from London go to Almscliffe or similar.
 Jon Stewart 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Agree. Although its a superb venue, why see it at its worst? Slipstones might be a good alternative, very open, very quick drying, very beautiful and very very good.
 jkarran 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Agree. Although its a superb venue, why see it at its worst? Slipstones might be a good alternative, very open, very quick drying, very beautiful and very very good.

Beautiful crag but ferociously hot in summer unless you get some cloud cover.

OP: I'd wait until the vegetation has died back a bit before driving 40min for Caley let alone 4Hr especially since you'll pass a load of great crags on route. That's just me, if you have a serious Caley itch that needs scratching then good luck for a dry day and a nice breeze.

jk
 Graham Booth 13 Aug 2013
In reply to jkarran: climbed there a few times over the last two weeks, been fine apart from the carnivorous bracken!!
Wiley Coyote2 13 Aug 2013
In reply to phildavies84:

Living about a dozen miles from Caley, having bouldered there hundreds of times and having bouldered at Almscliffe today I cannot imagine why anyone would drive past the Peak to get there. Either there's a good gig on or she's really worth it!
 Jon Stewart 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to phildavies84)
>
> Living about a dozen miles from Caley, having bouldered there hundreds of times and having bouldered at Almscliffe today I cannot imagine why anyone would drive past the Peak to get there. Either there's a good gig on or she's really worth it!

To go bouldering? The routes in the peak are at least a million times better than in Yorkshire, but the bouldering in Yorkshire is the best in the UK.
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Wiley Coyote)
> [...]
>
> To go bouldering? the bouldering in Yorkshire is the best in the UK.

Ah, that explains it. I bow to the superior knowledge of a man who lives near the Glen. Even though I've been out doing it today 'good bouldering' is an oxymoron to me and it will never be more than a necessary chore. I fear I am like Mountainsarebetter.. on the bolting trad thread. If I have to have it explained I'm never going to understand it am I?

Jon Stewart 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> [...]
>
> Ah, that explains it. I bow to the superior knowledge of a man who lives near the Gleb.c.

Not any more. Just moved back to Sheffield. while there is nothing finer than evening soloing on stanage, I will miss the broken-glass-strewn charms of The Glen

> Even though I've been out doing it today 'good bouldering' is an oxymoron to me and it will never be more than a necessary chore. I fear I am like Mountainsarebetter.. on the bolting trad thread. If I have to have it explained I'm never going to understand it am I?

if you've ever done vim, horror arete and pebble wall and still don't get it, you areindeed a lost cause.

But hang on, did I just witness a Yorkshireman agreeing with a Peakie that it would be insane to drive past the peak to climb in Yorkshire? Has the world gone mad? What had happened to disrupt the natural order of the universe?
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Wiley Coyote)
> [...]
>
>>
> But hang on, did I just witness a Yorkshireman agreeing with a Peakie that it would be insane to drive past the peak to climb in Yorkshire?

I can do the stage Yorkshireman with the bet of 'em but, sadly, facts is facts. I'd gladly swap the the Yorkshire crags for the Peak(tho I'd obviously have to hang on to Malham). But let's not forget that a third of the Peak park is in Yorkshire, as is Sheffield and part of Stanage so we might as well have the rest of it, and if we're having Stanage it'd be daft not to throw in Millstone, Burbage, and maybe Frogatt, which would obviously include Curbar and......
 Bulls Crack 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to phildavies84) Caley is sweaty and grim this time of year. If you are travelling from London go to Almscliffe or similar.

Or Wales/Lakes/Pembroke/Cornwall etc etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...