UKC

Caving Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tradical 12 Jan 2018

Come on then, hit me with suggestions!

I'm based in Sheffield but willing to travel over the course of the year.

I'm a climber turned caver wanting to scratch the old itch in a new way.

Gimme slime.

Andrew Wilson 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Radical:

Ha, caving was the saviour of last winter for me. 

Green Light (VS 4c)

Preposterous Tales (E2 5b)

Crypt Route (VD)

Or I suppose the ultimate cave tick:

Gee Gee Rider (E3 5c)

Needs the dam to be built during a bank holiday winch meet, a very dry spell and lots of chalk I expect! 

Im sure there are lots more!

Andy

Xavierpercy 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Badger Violation Cave (D)

something in South Wales 

Trangia 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Avernus at Swanage

https://www.rockfax.com/databases/r.php?i=4279

Lockwood's Chimney

Lockwood's Chimney (VD)

The latter should traditionally be soloed wearing a DJ after a dinner at Pen y Gwryd 

Post edited at 07:41
 David Jones 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Also in Snowdonia, Monolith Crack (done traditionally)

phizz4 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Queen's Parlour Chimney Original route, Black Rocks.

SuperLee1985 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Quite enjoyed Fingals Flue at Stoney.

duchessofmalfi 12 Jan 2018

Preposterous trails at shining cliff is nearer than its namesake

Preposterous Trails (HS 4b)

climb without a head torch for added fun but watch out for the spiders

Red Rover 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

You couldn't do GG rider when the winch meet was on you'd get tangled up in the chair cables :p Nothing stopping you from building the dam yourself though, I did that when I went caving down Rat Hole (parallel shafts with their own waterfalls, dropping out of the GG roof system). Just watch out for tourists lobbing rocks down the shaft, I was abbing down Dihedral (next to the main shaft) when a load of kids started lobbing huge rocks down, it was awful!

Graeme Hammond 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Close to Sheffield Fingal's Flue (HS 3c) is one of the best, do it at night too as then the way is even less obvious as no light to head towards and it becomes a true caving/climbing experience

Brown 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

The Birth of Al (M) at Stanage Popular has got to have the tightest squeeze I have ever managed to get through.

I'd wear old clothes as my t-shirt did not make it through. The bottom half was torn off below my chest. Looking at the logbook entries it appears its not the only t-shirt to die in this squeeze.

Post edited at 12:09
 John Gresty 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Re GG Rider

I thought that it was climbed on a winch meet and that the rock was very clean until near the top when light from the surface hit the rock and allowed vegetation to grow.  People on the winch were warned about the ascent as seeing lights half way up the cavern/shaft walls could be most confusing.

Having been down there on the winch I do not see that getting mixed up with the cables would be a problem, also been down there under my own steam but that is another story.

It could do with a repeat.

Now another tale I heard was that two lads went down Alum (but I could have the wrong pothole there) with ice climbing gear to attempt an icicle that had formed, but found that it haven't reached the floor and they couldn't reach it.

How about Pen-y-Ghent Pot, didn't Pete Livesey free climb up all the pitches once. I'm sure there must be others that are feasible.

John

john arran 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Not exactly slime, but healthy mad fun all the same: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/le_trog_subterranean_adventure...

oldie 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

Benny (Promenade, Swanage),

Dave Williams 12 Jan 2018
In reply to John Gresty:

> How about Pen-y-Ghent Pot, didn't Pete Livesey free climb up all the pitches once. I'm sure there must be others that are feasible.

Yes is the simple answer, although probably best not to dwell on stuff such as 'why?' 

The OP's question has been asked before, a long time ago admittedly: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/climbing_in_caves-103715

Some of the responses are very interesting/ knowledgeable and provide a contrast to responses 14 years later. As one of Livesey's contemporaries in the Bradford CC once told me, caver-turned-climber Livesey considered the use of a maypole to climb up to avens as cheating and consequently was notorious for free climbing underground pitches before he 'saw the light'. [Sorry. ]

More recently, Dave MacLeod and Andy Cassidy climbed Jingling Pot's 60m main shaft as a stunt for TV in 2011 and concluded it was about E3. http://davemacleod.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/new-route-in-peak-cavern.html

In reply to Red Rover:

The winch is handy for getting to the start of the route!

Although I would happily descend Dihedral or Jib Tunnel to get down, you would have to get changed at the bottom before climbing out (ideally) and then descend again to retrieve your kit and de-rig the pitch. 

I don't think I could construct a dam to match the CPC construction! 

Andy

In reply to John Gresty:

Hull pot has some routes that come out of the entrance shake hole. Pretty esoteric looking. 

In reply to Red Rover:

> You couldn't do GG rider when the winch meet was on you'd get tangled up in the chair cables :p 

The winch follows an anchored guide cable though and is well away from the line of the route. 

I would have thought it would be ok, apart from the audience you would have as you deal with the slime on the top pitch!

Andy

Ian W 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

A group of us did a fair bit of climbing underground during the 80's. Put up a free route up Bar Pot, which was ok. HVS / E1 ish. In the days when we could put "we should have known better" down to youthful enthusiasm, we made an attempt to climb the main pitch of diccan pot (after a dry spell). It remains thoroughly unclimbed, but there are a number of routes down Alum Pot.

In reply to Ian W:

Diccan main pitch would be great! Up into the rift and around the overhang onto the big ledge. 

Might have a look next I'm down there!

Andy

d_b 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Tradical:

No match for climb id:63186

Safe but thrutchy.  Got a 7a (sport) leading friend of mine swearing incessantly, which is a good sign.

Post edited at 22:17
 Ian W 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

Good luck!! All 3 of us were climbing pretty well, and got nowhere. Mainly due to the water running down it, but thats a bit of a permanent feature........,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...