UKC

CC Guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jabbott 31 Mar 2020

I'm sat here in the spare room with maps and guidebooks taunting me above my monitors. Why is the text on the spine of the West Cornwall guide in a gold colour and the rest in white? 

Dan Arkle 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Jabbott:

We had a vote of all CC members, and unanimously decided to make it GOLD to honour the amazing golden light of the sunsets on West Cornish granite.

Mark Stevenson 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Jabbott:

You obviously don't have enough CC guidebooks... 

The majority of the CC South West guides have had gold titles since 1988.

The 2000 two volume West Cornwall guide, the 1997 Wye Valley guide, the 1994 Lundy guide, the 1992 Avon and Cheddar guide, the 1991 Bosigran & 1992 Chair Ladder guides and the 1988 North Devon & Cornwall guides all had gold titles on black. 

The colour on the 2000 North Devon and Cornwall guide is really nondescript but may have been meant to match the gold of the others. 

The 2004 Avon and Cheddar guide, doesn't have gold titles but it has bright yellow. 

Prior to that, the Lliwedd 1966 reprint, the last of the early hardbacks, had gilt titles. Also the original three CC guides were produced with gilt titles and dark covers.

HTH

Post edited at 11:46
 spenser 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

That is a truly spectacular level of guidebook nerdery there Mark!

I'm pretty bad for guidebooks but at least my collection is mostly the current generation!

Martin Bennett 31 Mar 2020
In reply to spenser:

> I'm pretty bad for guidebooks but at least my collection is mostly the current generation!

Ah but Mark's collection is of EVERY generation including the current one. If you're ever short of a volume to complete just about any UK set from the last 100 years he's your man!

OP Jabbott 31 Mar 2020

> You obviously don't have enough CC guidebooks... 

You're right, my small sample size only includes the 2000 Tremadog, 1993 Ogwen and Carneddau, 2003 reprint of 1999 Symonds Yat and the golden hued 2000 West Cornwall

> HTH

It does indeed, One less thing to keep me awake tonight, many thanks.

Mark Kemball 31 Mar 2020

However, all our most recent guidebooks have white titles, including the latest two West Cornwalls...

bpmclimb 31 Mar 2020

Damn! I've got a big collection of CC guides, but the differences in the spine colours never bothered me .... until now. Especially that glaringly yellow 2004 Avon and Cheddar. I'm going to have to do something about it. Do stick-on strips and coloured pens count as essential purchases, I wonder .....

spenser 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Oh I'm aware of that, 2 bookcases of predominantly guidebooks is enough for 1 man I think! I don't need historical versions of guidebooks to beef up the collection!

Nigel Coe 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Jabbott:

A few CC guidebooks have photos on the spine behind the text: my 1995 Swanage & Portland guide and the latest editions of Southern Sandstone, Lliwedd, and Swanage. The 1995 S&P had yellow text to match the previous two Swanage guides.

steve taylor 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Nigel Coe:

Mine has a dolphin and white text

GrahamD 01 Apr 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

The one that really bugs me because it doesn't fit the shelf is the Portland one

Sean Kelly 01 Apr 2020

> The majority of the CC South West guides have had gold titles since 1988.

> The 2000 two volume West Cornwall guide, the 1997 Wye Valley guide, the 1994 Lundy guide, the 1992 Avon and Cheddar guide, the 1991 Bosigran & 1992 Chair Ladder guides and the 1988 North Devon & Cornwall guides all had gold titles on black. 

Really, mine certainly looks silver! Then again old age and senility could be setting in!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...