UKC

Climb Magazine says OK to manufactured routes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 4291 11 Mar 2011
Or at least doesn't attempt to cast any shadow over a manufactured route on yorkshire limestone in aprils review of 2010's goings on. Does anyone else think this is a bit odd?

Can I go and put a set of 40 bolt-on holds on rainshadow now to bring it down to my level?
 PeterM 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:

Surely anything that's bolted is manufactured..?
 Quiddity 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:

Can you give a bit more detail for those of us who haven't read it.
 jkarran 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:

For the benefit of those of us who don't buy the comics, what are you on about?

jk
 Michael Ryan 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:
> Or at least doesn't attempt to cast any shadow over a manufactured route on yorkshire limestone in aprils review of 2010's goings on. Does anyone else think this is a bit odd?

No not odd at all. It is in a report by Kevin Avery who is reporting about a route climbed by Jordan Buys.

So no, Climb Magazine or their editors do not comment whether it is OK to manufacture routes/create holds.

Kevin writes:

'Jordan set about working the unclimbed extension to The Sound of One Hand Slapping, itself a short 7c. The Jordanator eventually succumbed to a powerful and bouldery 8b sequence using a drilled pocket/seam to gain a heuco pocket and a final testing sequence to the belay.'

It also makes no accusation to who drilled the pocket/seam.

That extension did have bolt-on holds for a while (1992/93). I put them there and they were promptly removed, thank goodness. I was the the first ascensionist of The Sound of One Hand Slapping.

Mick

Michael Ryan 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

The route is at Hollywood Bowl, Giggleswick, North Yorkshire.
Dirk Didler 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Mr Plow)
> [...]
>
> No not odd at all. It is in a report by Kevin Avery who is reporting about a route climbed by Jordan Buys.
>
> So no, Climb Magazine or their editors do not comment whether it is OK to manufacture routes/create holds.
>
> Kevin writes:
>
> 'Jordan set about working the unclimbed extension to The Sound of One Hand Slapping, itself a short 7c. The Jordanator eventually succumbed to a powerful and bouldery 8b sequence using a drilled pocket/seam to gain a heuco pocket and a final testing sequence to the belay.'
>
> It also makes no accusation to who drilled the pocket/seam.
>
> That extension did have bolt-on holds for a while (1992/93). I put them there and they were promptly removed, thank goodness. I was the the first ascensionist of The Sound of One Hand Slapping.
>
> Mick

Does this mean we can now dry tool there?..........OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i'm now going to roast myself over a log fire
 Michael Ryan 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Dirk Didler:

and so you should, immeadiately.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...