UKC

Climbing after the snip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cake 18 Sep 2013
I've just had a vasectomy today and I was wondering how soon other people climbed after the same op.. In particular, what about falling on a harness and falling onto a pad? I really fancy some highballing in about ten days if I can.

Thanks
 Blue Straggler 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:

I can see this thread getting cut short.
 Howardw1968 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
I've just asked to be referred for that so would be interested in the answer
 David Barratt 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I'm not an ex-spurt... so I'll let others take the lead.
 quirky 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I was completely back to normal within a week. Took a week off cycling and running to be sure. Not sure when I next climbed. .but everything else was not a problem.
 andy 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I was running the same day. My mate seconded me on Tufted Crack at Ilkley the same day as his.
 victorclimber 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I had a couple of days resting ,then rode the bike for a short distance ,and soloed a diff at Burbage after about a week.never had any problems .but never used harness for about a month just soloed
OP Cake 18 Sep 2013
Sounds great generally, thanks folks.

I'm still interested to know if anyone has had any problems now though. Perhaps if you jumped onto pads from 5m or so, which I am intending to do...?

Ta
 Martin Bennett 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:

10 days? 10 days? I had the snip on a Tuesday, went to Wales on Friday night and on Saturday took a 40 footer off the crux overhang of Barbarian! (This was the result of not placing the runner over the lip as well as a second half my weight with a slack belay, who I met going up as I was coming down!). Not only did I and the family jewels survive the fall but I got up and got it right next time then did Falcon.

So my advice based on experience is just get on with it but I doubt whether anyone in the medical profession would concur.
OP Cake 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett:
Great! I'm definitely going to plan to go climbing soon then.

Peace of mind. Thanks
 zebidee 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
> (In reply to Martin Bennett)
> Great! I'm definitely going to plan to go climbing soon then.
>
> Peace of mind. Thanks

Ah well ... that's assuming that things go okay.

When I got done (back in March) I had some pain for a while, went back in 3 weeks later & got opened back up. That was a Friday; some infection found, cut away and stitched back up.

Monday morning I went from a bit achey to unable to stand doubled over on the floor howling in pain in about 45 minutes of getting out of bed. Off to A&E, where I was admitted for surgery to clear things out due to sepsis "down there".

Turned out to be a strep-A infection so put into isolation to protect the other patients. Wasn't allowed to leave the room for 4 days until I was discharged.

Didn't get climbing again for another 4 weeks - so that was essentially March - June wiped out.

Good luck!
 biscuit 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
Whatever you do don't Google long term post vasectomy pain.

I had a laser job. In and out in your lunch hour. But the burning smell is a bit disconcerting.

It was still hurting 6 weeks later. Totally fine now so long term very little to worry about but I guess everyone will heal differently.
 Rob Exile Ward 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: Yep, the CLIMBING was OK, but...

(Only kidding.)
tri-nitro-tuolumne 18 Sep 2013
In reply to victorclimber:

Soloing for a month? You need to have balls to do that
 John Ww 18 Sep 2013
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:

Oh, come on!
 John Ww 18 Sep 2013
In reply to andy

> Tufted Crack

Fnarrr, fnarrr!
 dale1968 18 Sep 2013
In reply to John Ww:
> (In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne)
>
> Oh, come on!

might struggle with that...
 jon 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:

> I really fancy some highballing

Hmmm, they maybe higher than you think...
 tallsteve 18 Sep 2013
In reply to zebidee:

>
> Didn't get climbing again for another 4 weeks - so that was essentially March - June wiped out.
>

Surely you were climbing the walls?

In reply to cake:
I couldn't walk properly for 3 days, but played for sympathy for atleast 2 weeks. Works like a charm "I would love to wash up dear, but standing for any length of time ... You know how it is ..."

So, you'll be playing for sympathy for 9 days, then have a miraculous recovery. 10 days should be fine.
 colina 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
> I really fancy some highballing in about ten days if I can.
>
> Thanks

reckon if you climb too soon you could well be "high balling" in a different way .take yer time man the crags aint goin nowhere!
 JayPee630 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:

Erm, no, not peace of mind and I'd skip the macho advice IMO. Quite a few friends have had it done and some have had problems, and when they have it's been from rushing back into exercise and doing things that probably shouldn't have done.

Ask your doctor, but I'd say play safe and give it a long rest period. Climbing will always be there, risking a possible post-op infection that results in losing precious bits of yourself is much worse than missing a trip or two.
OP Cake 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
Well if it's infected, I'll know about it by the tenth day I should have thought, eh
 Dave Reeve 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: The after effects seem to vary according to how skilled the person is doing it. Essentially, the more gently your testicles are handled whilst the operation takes place the less severe the after effects. I had mine done about 6 years ago...no swelling or bruising or any other problems and I was climbing after a couple of days but the guy doing it was very competent...
 Shad 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
I ripped my stiches on one side which then got infected, so that stopped me climbing. Nice.
I was climbing maybe 3 weeks after the op. I think I had an old-fashioned surgeon though as he made probably 1" incisions in each side. I think the fancy laser or key-hole methods are much easier to recover from.
OP Cake 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
I think this consultant claimed he had not had any complications in years. He seemed competent enough. No stitches; in and out in all of 10 minutes. I have to say I don't fancy going for a run right now though.
Giz 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: It'll partly depend on you and how well it goes. When I had it done I took it easy for a few days...didn't move too quickly basically as I was 'a bit tender'. Otherwise no problems. My mate though...he was hobbling around and sitting on soft cushions for 2 weeks. You'll probably be fine but see how it goes. Be prepared not to do anything too daft - just see what your body tells you.
 Bulls Crack 18 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Cake) I was running the same day. My mate seconded me on Tufted Crack at Ilkley the same day as his.

That's not an obscure joke is it?
 Howardw1968 18 Sep 2013
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:
> (In reply to victorclimber)
>
> Soloing for a month? You need to have balls to do that

They are still there just not tied into anything...
 LakesWinter 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: What are you trying then? Just flash it, o, I see, Entropy's Jaw then, hmm, there is a runner...
 Cowflinger 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I asked my Dr how long to wait before climbing after my snip. And 10 days was his advice. The procedure was really smooth and I was out down the park with the kids the same day. The recovery continued with no problems. 2 weeks after I went bouldering and caused a haematoma. Rested and this cleared. Went route climbing and no reaction to wearing a harness, including falls. Bouldered again and haematoma returned. Problems continued like this every time I bouldered for quite a while. I personally wouldn't recommend bouldering, especially high ball.
 David Barratt 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Howardw1968:
> (In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne)
> [...]
>
> They are still there just not tied into anything...

Climbing without tying in...? not a good idea.
 jon 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
> (In reply to Cake)
> Well if it's infected, I'll know about it by the tenth day I should have thought, eh

It...?
OP Cake 18 Sep 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: Hmm, perhaps I won't be jumping too much then. Apart from wings of unreason, of course.
In reply to Cake:
> I've just had a vasectomy today ..... I really fancy some highballing in about ten days if I can.

Snurrtt....titter....fnaaarrr....
Wiley Coyote2 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:
This thread indicates a strange sense of priorities. It wasn't my climbing I was keen to test. There was something else I was far more interesting in making sure I could still do.
 Howardw1968 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Cake)
> This thread indicates a strange sense of priorities. It wasn't my climbing I was keen to test. There was something else I was far more interesting in making sure I could still do.

Nah been married too long :-P
 escalator 19 Sep 2013
In reply to biscuit:

Biscuit, I'm trying to get in touch with you. Check your email(s). Thanks.
 JamButty 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I think it really does depend. I know people who were out and about within 24 hrs.
I thought I was ok, just took it easyish for a week, but then spent a weekend driving a landrover with a heavy clutch, and it took me 6 weeks to be feeling ok, during that time I wouldn't have dreamt of climbing and falling in a harness makes me queasy now thinking about it 5 years on!

Tree 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: It'll depend how delicate your little eggs are: Mine are particularly sensitive, so much so I had mine done under a general, took a fortnight before I could wear trousers due to swelling.
Make sure you've another driver with you, just in case!
Sarah G 25 Sep 2013
...I used to enjoy assisting with vasectomies when I did a theatre rotation.....

Can't imagine why.

Sx
 Sami Mandeel 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I got the snip last Friday. Was 'John Wayning' it for the first 3-4 days and defo feeling less tender today (6 days later) but I reckon it'll be another week or two for me.
Removed User 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: I was paroled a week after the snip and led White Slap on Croggy DELICATELY!
 nniff 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:

The anaesthetic didn't work on one side for me. Not a good day out. Wife was about to ask me how it went as I emerged, but took one look at my ashen face and knew the answer without asking.

Took a while to be OK - about two weeks.
OP Cake 27 Sep 2013
In reply to nniff:
Me: Is that smell my flesh burning?
Surgeon: Yes.
Me: Oh. Why does this hurt even when it's anaesthetised?
Surgeon: Probably because it's a very sensitive area and this gets up to 360 degrees Celsius.
Me: Oh. I'm feeling a bit tense now.

Sarah G 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake:

)))))

(lowercase bit.)

Sx
 jon 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserCake) I was paroled a week after the snip and led White Slap on Croggy DELICATELY!

Excellent choice of typos!
 Tonybhoy 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Cake:
I just got a fit of the giggles when I smelled the burning flesh.
Maybe it was the nerves...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...