UKC

Climbing tales / Covid condemnation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 08 Jan 2021

I expect this request to fall on deaf ears but...

It is possible to climb / walk etc strictly within the rules.

It is possible to climb / walk etc sensibly and safely wrt covid and the current situation.

IMHO It should be possible to discuss some little adventure that fits these two categories without all the covid condemnation crap piling in.  So, please, before you pile in with your condemnation consider whether or not something has really done any proper harm and if not please keep out.

Just a little territory for discussing adventures big or small without the lock down saints pouring scorn would be nice.  I miss the outdoors, I miss my climbing, I've not seen a mountain for a year and I'd like to daydream a bit about adventures without the self appointed covid police storming in.

Post edited at 16:56
 tehmarks 08 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

It's not in the hills or mountains, but my girlfriend has just moved to Torbay, with a garden that literally backs on to the SW Coast Path (with a gate on to it and all), and we've spent the past week exploring it and the surrounding paths.

One thing is certain: if I keep visiting, I will be well fit come summertime. Who'd have thought that a coast path would be so hilly?

OP gravy 08 Jan 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

Coastal paths are always very hilly! (except Norfolk/Suffolk). 

The sea has so many moods that it never gets stale for me.

alan moore 08 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

I’m very lucky in that in one hour and three minutes I can walk out my front door and be on top of a 2000ft hill; currently snow covered, crescent moon, view of the twinkling lights of Forth valley.

Would love to be able to touch some rock though. Always want what we haven’t got!

In reply to gravy:

I live 4.1 miles from my local crag which is also in the closest town! Hopefully going to climb some mid grade sport this sunday, with someone i live with.. by my reckoning this is fine in Scotland

GrahamD 09 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

Do you mean "the rules" as in the set of social norms that allow the country to function or do you mean exploiting possible legal loopholes ?

In reply to GrahamD:

Reading the lfe from numerous industrial tragedies places responsibilities firmly on those who exploit loopholes, employ workarounds and ignore trends/alarms. 

Covid is no different to these, if we look for loopholes, employ workarounds and ignore the data, this is only going one way. 

I checked this morning, the "be Reet" vaccine many are using has not been granted approval. Evidence suggests that it does not work. 

planetmarshall 09 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

> I expect this request to fall on deaf ears but...

If there's one way to virtually guarantee the derailling of a thread, it's a highly defensive post that seems more concerned with what you don't post than what you do.

You could have just asked for lockdown tales without the defensiveness, and that's probably what you would have got.

C Witter 09 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

> I've not seen a mountain for a year and I'd like to daydream a bit about adventures

I'm hoping I'll be able to finally attempt the Cuillin ridge traverse with some friends in late spring. We'll see, of course. As part of this bigger daydream, I've been dreaming up some "training" rounds in the Cumbrian fells (which are only an hour away).

A Wasdale round involves walking up to Scafell Crag for Sligsby's Chimney (VDiff/Mod), descending from High Man to Pisgah and then Mickledore (possibly via Broad Stand, probably by a short ab). Then a climb on the SW-facing Pikes Crag at Diff/VDiff. Followed by a walk over Scafell Pike, down the Corridor Route to Styhead, along the Climbers Traverse and up Needle Ridge on the Napes and Pinnacle Ridge on Westmorland Crag to the top of Gable. From there, if time and energy permit, perhaps a quick continuation over Kirkfell and down that rotten gully then descend to the valley via the Black Sail Pass.

A Coniston Round involves The Bell (grade I), a quick up and down of the Pudding Stone, Original Route (VD/S) on Great How, Sunshine Arete (D) on Little How) over to The Old Man, down to Goat's Water, up C Ordinary, down Easy Terrace and up Giant's Crawl, before following the ridge along to a scree shoot, down into the bog and back to the car park - roughly 15km and quite a bit of up and down.

I've also got a version of the Pico Harrison on the list.

All good daydreams! I wonder if they'll happen!

Tom Valentine 09 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

As I said on another thread ( Outdoor Art) my local quarry  has now reached the dizzy heights of UKC Logbook inclusion so I might go for a poke around this afternoon if it stays fine: not that I'll be able to climb anything but I'd like to see where the lines are. 

Dave Hewitt 09 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

Main part of the Ochils was glorious yesterday - did a Wood Hill - Ben Ever - Ben Cleuch round with a pal. Cold and quite strong wind on the lower part of Wood Hill but this eased steadily higher up. Masses of snow - plenty of folk were out (maybe half of them women) and everyone was very cheery. High up bumped into a friend not seen for ages and who has had health worries so had a chat with him. Evidence of people having been skiing (only person I saw with skis was carrying them) and a bloke encountered at the main summit had a very smart-looking pair of snowshoes (although I felt fine in Mudclaws and my pal was similarly happy in normal boots). Could see a long way - Arran, Cairnsmore of Carsphairn, the big western stuff (Lui etc), likewise up to the NE although harder to distinguish things there because of the snow cover. Very good outing - and my fourth time up Ben Cleuch already this year!

Gone for good 09 Jan 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

The Pembrokeshire coastal path is like that, certainly the part I walked was very up and down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...