UKC

Climbing/ Via ferrata in the Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Watts 20 Mar 2013
Hello

Does anyone have any experience of Via ferrata and climbing in the Dolomites?

Currently deployed in Afghanistan and looking at heading down there for 8-10 days during my R&R May/June time.

We'll be camping too so any campsite recommendations all welcome too!

Cheers,

Ben
 Rampikino 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts:

In short the Dolomites is quite a vast area - if you look at the Cicerone guides you will see that there are a number of distinct sections to the Dolomites.

We had a fantastic trip there a couple of years ago doing VF, Sports Climbing, walking and longer climbs. Huge variety involved. We were based largely around the Sella Pass but also Corvara and Canazei.

We found the VFs to be very well equiped and obvious (sometimes a bit too popular) and the climbing was excellent, though occasionally the grades felt a little bit sandbaggy.

Sorry but not sure about Camping.
dubwoy 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts: i walked altar via the other year.best hike ever double in 8 days and a great way to see loads of what are in my opinion the most beautiful mountains anywhere.
The cicerone books are very good for the via ferrata but split into two north and south.
Loads of campsite but didn't have a problem wild camping evennear huts.
If you look at the cicerones its easy to put together multiday hikes. With vfs. In as well.
You'll love it mate.
 Robin VdH 20 Mar 2013
Hi,

The via ferrata in the Dolomites are great fun - I'd really recommend it.

Corvara's a good place to base yourself. There's a great campsite (Camping Colfosco) that's a short walk to the town. Corvara itself is a nice place, with a couple of supermarkets, couple of gear shops and a few restaurants. It's also much cheaper than somewhere like Cortina. There are plenty of good via ferrata on the doorstep (including the brilliant Via Ferrata Brigata Tridentina) and a short-ish drive away in Passo Falzarego and Selva.

There are some pictures and reviews of Dolomites campsites near via ferrata on my blog - http://thesevereclimber.com/via_ferrata/review-campsites-for-via-ferrata-in...

I've not been to the Dolomites in May or June though and it's possible that there might still be some snow and ice around. It might not be on the routes themselves, but it might be in any gullys you use for descent. There were a few patches of old snow on the descent from the Via Ferrata Brigata Tridentina when I did it in September a few years ago. Anyone else know about this?
 ripper 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts: I've had a couple of trips to the Dolomites, both times for the last full week of June, and both times there have been pockets of snow in shady north-facing areas, gullies etc, but never enough to stop us doing anything. We based ourselves in Canazei, stayed in apartments but there's a campsite there too (poss called Camping Marmolada IIRC?). I didn't do any VF but people I was with did and loved them, the climbing is great though, I didn't find anything to be harder than expected, but the exposure is certainly an eye-opener.
 stubbed 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts:

We went in June and September and both times it snowed quite heavily (cars using snow chains etc). I would say go prepared for only doing VF as for me it was a bit cold for climbing.
 AlanLittle 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts:

It's a slightly out of the way corner of the Dolomites, but we found the Moiazza area good. There are a couple of good campsites in Forno di Zoldo: the restaurant at l'Insonnia campsite is outstanding, and/or there are huts on & above the Passo Duran.

We did the Decima, which is a really excellent, not too long (about 6 pitches) Grade V, south facing with an easy approach & descent. The Bonetti slightly further left on the same face is supposed to be equally excellent and a little bit harder.

The Constantini Via Ferrata in the same area is also supposed to be really good.

May/June is early season: expect snow on north slopes and in gullies.
 Cruty Rammers 20 Mar 2013
We went in june, and there was snow in places, but nothing to cause any problems or require axes etc. The main problem was that many of the chairlifts weren't open, so getting to some of the VFs wasn't practical (i.e. it would need a very long walk in and out).
Absolutely brilliant fun though.
 Rog Wilko 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts: The Brenta Dolomites (a separate area west of the Dolomites proper) is a superb area for multi-day via ferrata trips.
 Chris the Tall 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts:
I wrote this article http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=86

But there are a number of more recent and more accurate articles in you look in the Destinations section

I've not been for a few years, but it was great fun and the some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen
 JKW 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts: http://www.campingmiravalle.it/en/ this link should take you to a campsite we stayed on many years ago when we went via ferrata'ing with our children. Great campsite and a lovely valley to base yourself in. We had a car and could drive to the great via ferratas in the area. If you email me (think you can do that from the UKC site) I can send you some info I wrote for someone on our return.
 Toerag 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts: snow will be a problem over 2000m in june. bochette centrale was impassable without crampons/axes in july the first time I went. I'd go to arco - plenty of low level vf without snow, and only an hour's drive up to the classic VF areas in the brenta.
 Null 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts:

As others have said, for the Dolomites proper snow is likely on routes and ferratas and many high paths will require snowshoes or skis. You might consider Arco where you can do all the things you want no problem in May (almost guaranteed good weather) and from there you can still visit the Dolomites, weather and conditions permitting (Brenta are very close).

We could even have a barbecue at my (shared) WWI bunker hut.
 Bossys gran 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Ben Watts: hi mate, camp in Cortina, climb at cinque torre to warm up then spread your wings a bit. I bought the Italian version of the guidebook as its easy to decipher( note use of the word decipher not translate) there's loads to go at.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...