UKC

Climbing with a moustache

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
WaxiesDargle 26 Nov 2012
I'm currently participating in the charitable event known as Movember. 3 weeks in, and I'm sporting a rather hirsute appendage on my upper lip. My sex appeal has gone through the roof, and my climbing has definitely improved. Have many of you climbed with a moustache before? How did you find the experience? I have decided to continue growing the 'tache well into December and beyond. I won't be happy until it's developed graspable extremities, neatly combed and waxed into position! Many great climbers and explorers (both male and female) throughout history benefited from the addition of a moustache, which leaves one feeling quite surprised that the 'tache is such a rarity these days. Almost extinct in fact!
pasbury 26 Nov 2012
In reply to WaxiesDargle:

Taches are excellent for cultivating the walrus look when winter climbing as sweat, frost and snot all freeze up into a fine pair of tusks.

Beware the handlebar moustache getting caught in your abseil device though - possibly the second most eye watering thing it's possible to do to yourself.
 ripper 26 Nov 2012
In reply to WaxiesDargle: yep I went up at least a grade last movember while sporting the full mexican bandido (and that's with the added weight of mo-crazed ladies hanging from my harness, legs, ankles...)
If you're going for the combed and waxed 'chap' look though you'll want to get some new tweed climbing breeches, and be sure to wear a tie at all times, for the full effect - good show!
 The Pylon King 26 Nov 2012

> Many great climbers and explorers (both male and female) throughout history benefited from the addition of a moustache, which leaves one feeling quite surprised that the 'tache is such a rarity these days. Almost extinct in fact!

Too right, all real men should have some sort of facial hair and then be shaving it OFF for charity.

Our tragic trendy society.
 Red Rover 26 Nov 2012

Legend has it that Ron Fawcett once shaved off his tache and could only climb VS until it grew back.
 GarethSL 26 Nov 2012
In reply to WaxiesDargle: I was sporting a well trimmed Zorro the other week... until I saw that in all the photos it looks shit and the helmet hair made me appear like a certain historical German figure.

Wont be going down that road again :/
 deepstar 26 Nov 2012
 Only a hill 26 Nov 2012
Invaluable for winter climbing--a good moustache provides excellent adhesion to the ice (although a full beard is recommended).
cb294 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to WaxiesDargle)
>
> [...]
>
> Too right, all real men should have some sort of facial hair and then be shaving it OFF for charity.
>

Wrong. All real men should have some sort of facial and the not shave it off for any reason.

Except of course for direct orders from her who must be obeyed...
 Billhook 26 Nov 2012

I didn't know women's sex appeal went up when you grew a 'tash' Can we have a picture of it please? I;ve never seen one on a female before.
 colina 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave Perry:
my mates grandma's got a tash and a beard.she looks hot
 andyb211 26 Nov 2012
In reply to colina: Cracking B Js when she takes her teeth out too!
 foxjerk 26 Nov 2012
In reply to WaxiesDargle: I too am participating in movember and have also noticed a distinct improvement in my climbing of late. I had foolishly overlooked this quite obvious link and shall definitely retain said appendage. And to think those young boulderers in their trendy beanies and sleeveless t-shirts at the local wall were mocking my furry friend. All I know is that my bottom lip is wondering why my top lip is having all the fun!
 JJL 26 Nov 2012
In reply to GrendeI:
> (In reply to WaxiesDargle) I was sporting a well trimmed Zorro the other week... until I saw that in all the photos it looks shit and the helmet hair made me appear like a certain historical German figure.
>
> Wont be going down that road again :/

Shouldn't that read

"Won't be going down that road again //:=| "?
 coinneach 26 Nov 2012
In reply to JJL:

One of my colleagues took part in Movember until I pointed out that he'd started to look suspiciously like the bloke that used to hang around out Primary school playground at lunchtimes........................
 Mutl3y 26 Nov 2012
In reply to WaxiesDargle: this reminds me of a funny thing Nick Cave said when he grew a muzzy: "a man without a moustache is rather like a woman with one"

About 20 seconds into this link:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XQxEiDPyN7I&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DX...
 Brass Nipples 26 Nov 2012
In reply to coinneach:
> (In reply to JJL)
>
> One of my colleagues took part in Movember until I pointed out that he'd started to look suspiciously like the bloke that used to hang around out Primary school playground at lunchtimes........................

Jimmy Savile?
 thin bob 26 Nov 2012
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to GrendeI)
> [...]
>
> Shouldn't that read
>
> "Won't be going down that road again //:=| "?

Prize!! Good work sir!
WaxiesDargle 26 Nov 2012
So, to clarify, the addition of a moustache definitely improves your climbing ability. A startling discovery!

Love the Nick Cave quote, I'm a big fan of his. Even more so since he grew a Hulk Hogan 'tache.
WaxiesDargle 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave Perry:
> I didn't know women's sex appeal went up when you grew a 'tash' Can we have a picture of it please? I;ve never seen one on a female before.

I'm a dude, dude.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...