UKC

Clogwyn yr Eryr (Crafnant)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 16 May 2018

Clogwyn yr Eryr (Crafnant)

I had a couple of great days at this awesome crag, I'm surprised its not better known.

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce it correctly please?

Kimono 16 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

clogwin ar erir

more or less

ps cravnant

Andy Hardy 17 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

The bit with phoenix etc on it is known as SH wall, as it was visible from the outside khasi (the Sh1t House) at Blaen-y-nant

Matt Podd 17 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Agreed, a brilliant crag, in a lovely situation. Climbing there years ago, a raven was rolling pebbles down on to us as we climbed. Don't think it liked humans and who can blame it.

In reply to Dan Arkle:

I was talking to someone about this crag the other day.

As you say, it's a great venue - feels kind of hidden - with that beautiful drive past Llyn Geirionydd on the way in, feels like you're re-discovering a long lost part of Snowdonia.

As for the routes, they're all amazing, but I still maintain that the grades of Astoroth (E2 5c) and Phoenix (E2 5c) are an absolute joke. When I first did Astoroth I thought it was E4 6a, which may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but goes to show the torrid time I had on it. Phoenix is just as bad, with a really awkward, off-balance, and surprisingly hard to protect start it's basically E3 all the way in my opinion. Things got a bit more logical once you got to E4, but that's not to say they were easy for the grade!

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> feels kind of hidden - with that beautiful drive past Llyn Geirionydd on the way.....

Almost as though it's been hidden in a different valley past a different lake ??? 

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Sounds pretty hidden to me then 

GPN 17 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle: Great crag. I reckon it’s not better known because it’s ‘ard!

Phoenix felt more like a Lakes E2 than a welsh one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...