UKC

Corsica Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 21 Dec 2017
Looking to head to Corsica for some hiking and climbing!

Thinking of going late March/April has anyone visited during these times?

Climb Europe suggests 'spring' to early June as being a good season before the summer gets too hot so seeing if anyone has advice on best times to go.

thanks!

Steve
 Martin Bennett 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed Usermrjobs:

> Looking to head to Corsica for some hiking and climbing!

> Thinking of going late March/April has anyone visited during these times?

I haven't but it seems very early to me. When researching our trips there we concluded May/June or Sept were the best bets, and we went the first 2 weeks in September in the end. If you want to rock climb in the mountains (many at around 2000 metres and peaking at 2700 metres) at e.g. Col de Bavella, Gorge du Restonica I'm pretty sure late March would be too early. If you're thinking of low level sport crags I couldn't really advise. Probably fine.

shantaram 21 Dec 2017

It's a good time of year for the lower lying crags, but potentially a bit early for mountain crags such as those found at Restonica, Bavella when there is still likely to be snow around. These crags lie at an altitude of between 1500m - 2500m. You can still get some awesome multi pitch bolted climbing done at places like Monte Gozzi near Ajaccio and the Tavignano gorge near Corte which definitely get a bit warm from June onwards.
catalano87 21 Dec 2017

Hi,

I was in Bavella in last Easter (2017). It was perfect and the place is amazing, I think it's pretty unique in Europe. The weather was good, it could change a lot from really cold to really hot, but never too cold or too hot. The weather is quite dry, so if you stay for some days you may get rain once in a while but you need a good dose of bad luck to get crappy weather for a full week. I think summer is too hot for enjoying amazing south facing granite walls, and winter can be too cold. So Springtime is the good window, IMHO.
 john ryden 06 Jan 2018
Should be fine at Bavella at Easter, mountain crags like Puglia Orba will be too high. Capo d'orto & the 3 Seignori at Porto will be OK + the beach bouldering. Get hold of 'Falaises de Corse', lots of lower crags documented.
 Iain Thow 06 Jan 2018

I went in March a few years ago. Lots of snow high up, and snowy down to 500m at one point, but the lower crags around Porto were fine and a nice temperature for climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...