UKC

/ Crack behind Gogarth gearing-up point

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pete_Frost on 15 May 2018

Does anyone know the name and grade of the obvious crack right by the gearing up point for Gogarth Upper Tier and Main Cliff?

The crack starts at the same level as the gearing-up spot and is opposite the start of the descent gully. It has been climbed before because I found a couple of jammed nuts in it, so I'd like to find out more about it.

Thanks for your help.

MikeR - on 16 May 2018
In reply to Pete_Frost:

If it's the same one as I'm thinking of, I did it quite a few years ago. No idea what it's called, but I guesstimated the grade around HVS 5b. It was pretty good value, a little strenuous in places but nothing too bad, worthy of a star or two I thought. Makes for a nice end to the day if you have any energy left upon getting back to the gearing up spot.

Pete_Frost on 16 May 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Thanks Mike!

That's the grade that was suggested when I led it at the weekend and I thought exactly the same things - a great, sustained little route that is well worthy of a bit more traffic.

I'd like to write it up for UKC and to credit the first ascentionists. Do you think you were likely to be the first to have climbed it?

MikeR - on 16 May 2018
In reply to Pete_Frost:

I very much doubt I did the first ascent, it was about 15 years ago at a guess that I climbed it.

I seem to remember having a look on the database on here a little while afterwards and finding a route that seemed to fit the description, coloured in red as a newly added route, but can't find it now and don't remember what it was called. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.