UKC

dave mcleod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d conacher 11 Apr 2013
being an avid follower dave mcleods blog,i noticed he's stopped bloging since he was criticised by the winter ethics police,it would be a sad loss to the climbing comunity if dave decides to retire from commenting for fear of getting slagged of.I am sure you would all agree that daves done a lot for scottish climbing,rant over.
In reply to d conacher:

1) It's Macleod. You're obviously a massive fan.
2) That isn't a rant.
3) Maybe he's just busy climbing?
 1poundSOCKS 11 Apr 2013
In reply to d conacher: what was he criticised for?
 Fraser 11 Apr 2013
In reply to d conacher:

My guess is he's just very busy climbing and stuff, given recent, decent conditions. I don't see him stopping his blog any time soon - I certainly hope he doesn't.
 Siderunner 11 Apr 2013
In reply to d conacher:

Couldn't agree more, it will be a shame if he's stopped blogging but I wouldn't blame him.

The amount of rubbish that gets written on here, there seems to be a whole section of the community looking to nitpick other people's acheivemenys - and this is usually from people who don't operate at anything like the same level. The guys and gals who are at the top are usually very positive people, two who spring to mind for me are Shauna coxsey and Tim Emmett. Yet this whole grumpy git contingent really brings down ukc IMHO, and puts off the people who I'd rather hear from.

There was also the whole discussion on here about his place in some hill race, more petty stuff.

Siderunner 11 Apr 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:
Does that count as a rant?!
 GrahamD 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Siderunner:

Just because he's a great climber and an inspirational figure doesn't mean that we all have to slavishly agree with what he does or writes. The man makes mistakes like we all do.
 xplorer 11 Apr 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

It was no mistake mr g

Who are you to say it was a mistake, he climbed it using Scottish winter ethics and a hint of awesome dry tooling trad style. I'm pretty sure what he did caused no more damage than you would when you CLIMB
 The Ivanator 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Siderunner:
> (In reply to d conacher)

> The amount of rubbish that gets written on here, there seems to be a whole section of the community looking to nitpick other people's acheivemenys - and this is usually from people who don't operate at anything like the same level.

Got nothing against Dave MaC (in fact own 9 of of !0 and Longhope DVD), and am not part of the winter ethics police, but people are entitled to their opinions and climbing hard grades does not make you immune to criticism. Grade elitism is not one of the more attractive facets of the climbing community.
 Ramblin dave 11 Apr 2013
In reply to d conacher:
TBH I thought the response to White Noise on here was pretty sensible and respectful, probably due to the amount of respect that people have for Dave.

Odds are he's just spent the last four weeks working on the crux moves of some ludicrously hard boulder problem in Glen Nevis trying to decide whether it's better to fractionally adjust his foot before or after farting or something.
 dutybooty 11 Apr 2013
In reply to d conacher: Would be a shame if he stopped posting on his blog as I really believe he's one of the most inspiring and influential climbers going at the moment. A legend so to say.

Especially as his ethics are strong, but they are his ethics, which is what climbing is all about!

I know how I'm going to get him to comment on stuff though. I've heard if you say his name three times into a mirror...
 Kemics 11 Apr 2013
In reply to dutybooty:

That would be total hyperbole if you were talking about any other climber but Dave Macleod. Legend indeed! Usually if he's not updated his blog it's because he's off doing stuff to blog about, I'd imagine a good update is coming I can't imagine he takes much heed of the hot air on UKC.
 Puppythedog 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Kemics: I think I read something in a post a while ago about going sport climbing in spain. Maybe he's there and roaming is too dear.
 GrahamD 12 Apr 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> It was no mistake mr g

What are you on about ?
 Jon de Leyser 12 Apr 2013
In reply to d conacher: here here! have noticed it too. must be a right pain having to share with so much judgement flying about, but its a selfless example when people share despite it. he's a mammoth inspiration and ambassador for british climbing - hope he has the grace to share with us again.
BigFreddy 12 Apr 2013
In reply to jonmapDL:

"hope he has the grace to share with us again"
What a load of p***, course he will, got to keep the profile going and keep in the public eye. All you fawning sheep jumping onboard, gaining your own wee bit of PC kudos by aligning yourselves wi folk you dont even know. Get out and get a life of your own. & no im not some sort of armchair critic, i enjoy my climbing and various other sports at a good level but dont feel the need to broadcast about them.
 Jon de Leyser 12 Apr 2013
In reply to BigFreddy: haha I hope you're trolling.

aligning myself with 'folk i don't even know'?! - tell me why you have to personally know someone to 'align with' or support them?

what's far worse, is someone who banders about saying 'get out and get a life' to 'folk you don't even know [at all]!'

> (In reply to jonmapDL)
>
> "hope he has the grace to share with us again"
> What a load of p***, course he will, got to keep the profile going and keep in the public eye. All you fawning sheep jumping onboard, gaining your own wee bit of PC kudos by aligning yourselves wi folk you dont even know. Get out and get a life of your own. & no im not some sort of armchair critic, i enjoy my climbing and various other sports at a good level but dont feel the need to broadcast about them.

GrahamD 12 Apr 2013
In reply to JonmapDL:

> (In reply to d conacher) here here! have noticed it too. must be a right pain having to share with so much judgement flying about, but its a selfless example when people share despite it. he's a mammoth inspiration and ambassador for british climbing - hope he has the grace to share with us again.

He also makes his living out of climbing. He isn't only blogging for us humble mortals.

He's shown himself mature enough to answer critiscisms in the past in a well reasoned way - which doesn't mean any of us have to agree with what he writes of course.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...