UKC

Dawn Wall on Netflix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 10 Mar 2019

It appeared on there on Frid,  so watched it last night.

Didn't know the history of Tommy so that was an added dimension.

Heard a rumour Free Solo will be on Amazon Prime soon? Is that true,  if so I'm halfway through my free month so can watch it again.

Think we've been blessed with two excellent films in the last few months,  both fantastic but also very different.

In reply to JamButty:

Free Solo has been on National Geographic channel for the last few nights, and possibly the next few too, if you have access. I've recorded it (Virgin cable) so looking forward to watching it. 

Gone for good 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

I watched it (again) last night on National Geographic. It's an absolutely amazing film and an amazing feat of climbing. Sady I can't help thinking that the same fate awaits Alex Honnold as befell Ueli Steck and others who push the limits of what is achievable on the world's rock faces and mountains. 

slab_happy 10 Mar 2019
In reply to JamButty:

I can also rec Meru to anyone who hasn't already seen it. It's the previous film that E. Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin co-directed, and it complements the The Dawn Wall and Free Solo in a really interesting way -- you could see them as a kind of trilogy about climbing and risk and human relationships.

Climbthatpitch 10 Mar 2019
In reply to JamButty:

Should I say it.....

I preferred the dawn wall over free solo 

Neil Williams 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Climbthatpitch:

I'd actually go the other way, I found the Dawn Wall followed in the path of so many recent movies in being about half an hour too long (could have edited about that amount of it out and made it better by doing so), whereas Free Solo kept me captivated throughout.

PaulJepson 10 Mar 2019

I think they're both very interesting character studies. I was surprised to find both of them more interesting as documentaries about the climbers themselves than what they were undertaking. 

In reply to Neil Williams:

Defiantly agree with you on the time of the dawn wall but I just thought it was more engaging and overall a better climbing film.

I enjoyed free solo and what an achievement and amazing peice of climbing but it seemed like a lot of film for the last 20 minutes 

In reply to PaulJepson:

Both films defiantly did that very well

Neil Williams 10 Mar 2019

> Defiantly agree with you on the time of the dawn wall but I just thought it was more engaging and overall a better climbing film.

> I enjoyed free solo and what an achievement and amazing peice of climbing but it seemed like a lot of film for the last 20 minutes 

True.  I'd imagine the fact that I already knew Tommy's story as I've read his books also affected it, whereas I knew near nothing about Alex Honnold before watching Free Solo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...