UKC

DDT pitch 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingpixie 05 Sep 2021

Climbed DDT (HVS 5a) at Goat on Thursday but ended up a bit confused by where the top pitch goes. The old guide describes it going off left to a tree belay, the Wired guide shows that on the topo but describes it going up right and meeting the Tumbleweed Connection ab point. We couldn't see an ab point off left so ended up going right via some serious jungle bashing and a bonus heather pitch to the ab. Anyone done it who can confirm the right way for this pitch?

N.B. I guess it doesn't get climbed much nowadays as there's an ab point at the top of the first pitch but, unlike The Strand, the second pitch seems like a substantial part of the route and I feel should be described correctly in the guide.

LakesWinter 06 Sep 2021
In reply to climbingpixie:

I remember the second pitch being good in 2017 when i did it and definitely part of the route. 

The borrowdale guide photo shows the line going left across a slab after the groove on the second pitch but the description talks about going up right after reaching the slab on the second pitch. It sounds like you followed the description as opposed to the photo. 

I'm pretty sure there was an ab point in 2017 following the photo line, i.e going left as i think thats what i did

ian caton 06 Sep 2021

Eh. Second pitch of the strand is the crux. 

OP climbingpixie 07 Sep 2021
In reply to LakesWinter:

Yeah, I thought it was worth climbing and, given the sketchy vegetation hauling on the way we went, was probably the toughest part of the route! Interesting that you went off left - we probably didn't explore that way very thoroughly, given the choice between following the topo and aiming for an ab that may or may not be there or following the description and heading towards the one at the top of TC that we knew would be present. But going off left may have been a safer and less sketchy option.

OP climbingpixie 07 Sep 2021
In reply to ian caton:

Are we talking about the same route? The one I'm thinking of is an easy mossy womble to the top!

JimR 07 Sep 2021

Bearing in mind I did this in 1978 or so, I was confused as to where to go and after getting contradictory advice from several people I headed off right up a clean unprotected wall/slab for a bit until I found a bunch of slings around a tree to ab off. I don't think it matched the Praying Mantis Description and felt a heck of a lot harder and more serious than that. I suspect the crag foliage has changed since these days!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...