UKC

Derbyshire Hard Rock routes in a day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex@home 07 Jun 2018

New thread since the original has been archived

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/derbyshire_hard_rock_routes_in_a...

Was inspired by the idea and did this yesterday. What an amazing day. Very long and I confess I did underestimate it. Today I am broken.

Run-down of the day.

6.40 meet in Hathersage, swap gear into one car and head to Matlock

7.15 start Debauchery feeling excited. Some time later, don't remember P2 being this hard. Why am I pumped already? It's ok, this is just warming up.

8.55 back in car heading to Cratcliffe

9.15 finally leave Matlock after sitting in traffic jams

9.30 at base of Suicide Wall. Jeez it's hot in the sun. Off you go, Tony. My turn. Wow this is slippery. How do you jam again? When did I last climb on grit? Good job these holds are big.

10.25 back in the car and heading to Topley Pike

11.00 At base of Sirplum. Never done this before. It's even steeper when you're under it. Tony's given me the main pitch. "So it's just pull up, jug?" "Pretty much". Stepping across from the plinth I had to stop and take it all in. What an amazing position. How does an E1 get here? Wow. I'd agree it's the best E1 in the Peak.

12.30ish about to start Chee Tor Girdle. Remember, if you've nothing good to say then say nothing. Hmmm. Ok, it's not as polished as the VSs at Stoney. And I never have to do it again

3.30 heading to Stoney. 4 routes in 8 hours. Ok we've done 10 pitches out of 17 but we've got the hard climbing to come. Have we been climbing slowly? Didn't feel like it. Ok, this is a big day.

3.45 "Let's gear up at the car so we don't have to take bags". Tony heads up P1. Shit, where's my chalk bag? Bugger...Right let's climb this slowly. Maybe the sun will go in. Maybe there will be a bit of a breeze. Nope. Glad they're big holds. P2 is mine. So glad we reccied this a few weeks ago so I know there's only a short tricky section. Have these holds shrunk? They're so slippery. I'm off. No, just held it. Blow on hand, got to dry it somehow. There's the thread. Clipped. But now the holds get even smaller, and shinier, and more slippery. Shit, shit shit. Balance, use your feet. There's the cave, don't over-reach, slowly, phew. Get to the belay on Windhover. So glad Tony's got the crux and I can relax for a bit. Eventually it's my turn on those small holds where it gets steep. "I was nearly off there. So pumped and I couldn't see the holds in the sun" he says. I'm so glad we did this a few weeks ago and memory gets me through. The final pitch is just pleasant. But we know without looking that we were slower than the 2 hours we took last time.

6.35 on our way to Curbar. Walking up we comment on how there's nobody else there. Why not? Because it's a still evening in June. The moment we stop the bastards descend on us. Every bit of bare skin gets covered with those black biting dots. No time to waste. For once I'm glad to be leading Elder Crack as it will give me some respite. No points for style but plenty for efficiency. Up you come, Tony. Right, let's get out of here. Feeling good now. That's all the hard climbing done and just the 2 HVSs to go

7.30 walking up to Froggatt. Has this hill grown? It wasn't this far last time. My legs are SO tired. Tony's lead. Midges aren't so bad here and we've got repellant on so belaying isn't too bad. Hmm, looks like he's struggling a bit on the crack. He's made it to the arete. And he's up. My turn. This is so slippery. Where are the good jams? Foot slip, held it just. Move up, hand slip, get it back in, just. I am not falling off. Somehow I made it to the arete. In the right conditions this is a brilliant climb but today everything is so greasy. Eventually I got to the top and swore at Tony as he had no more leading to do and I still had to do Right Unconquerable.

8.50 walking up from the Plantation car park. So tired. Everything aches. Hope those chocolate biscuits do some good. As I set off up the sun comes out and bathes everything in a beautiful orange glow. Come on. I've done this enough times. Through the crux, place some gear, it's all ok. Move right. Only 10 feet left. Pump hits. Fight it, breathe. Get that cam in quickly and move on. At the semi rest under the top out. Gear in, chalk up, move. Where are the edges on top? Fk where are they. Can't hold on for long. There's one. And another. And I'm up. Wow, there's a breeze up here and no midges. And just look at that sunset. "Climb when ready". "Climbing". Fantastic. Double fist bump.

9.50 back at the car. Too tired to go to pub

What an excellent day. Individually none of the routes are particularly hard but when you add in all the walking and the volume of climbing it adds up to a big day out. Thanks to Tony for agreeing to do it.

Steven AT 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Effort! Sounds like a mega day. 

wilkie14c 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

9.50 back at the car. Too tired to go to pub

great effort but you have to do it all again as you missed the most import part of the tick

walts4 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Sounds like a great day, its now on my to do list for next time back in the UK...

OP Alex@home 07 Jun 2018
In reply to wilkie14c:

I had a beer at home. Does that count?

pasbury 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Good effort, especially doing it warm weather.

wilkie14c 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

> I had a beer at home. Does that count?

several i hope! well done again, sounded like an epic day

TonyM 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Eight climbs, on crags quite close together, how hard can it be? Agree, much more tiring than expected. It’s all the walking in and out that whacked me. Gave me more respect for the John Arran/Shane Ohly “On Peak Rock” Top 10 Esoterica day challenge from years ago. The walk ins for some of those are much more knackering (Eg For Ravenstones stomach traverse). https://m.epictv.com/media/podcast/esoterica-climbing-the-peak-districts-we...

Definitely an enjoyable challenge. Perhaps even better on a day with some breeze. But maybe the midges helped keep the classic grit routes free of post-work midweek climbers?!

cwarby 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Good on you, a damned fine effort. Its got me thinking - Neil, you reading this!!??

Chris

petesdavies 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Great account! Had a brilliant day doing this a few years ago by bike. Started and finished our "round" at Hunter's Bar roundabout in Sheffield. It took us 16 hours. The bikes worked really well for linking the Eastern Edges routes using the track through Burbage Valley and the track along the top of Frogatt and Curbar. The old railway line and tunnels were a really efficient way to combine the Chee Tor Girdle with Surplum and then get to Bakewell on our way to Cratcliffe. We only just managed to complete the last route, Debauchery, in time as torrential rain set in on the last pitch.

OP Alex@home 07 Jun 2018
In reply to petesdavies:

Wow. That just takes it to another level

dominic o 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Nice work! 

Some more beta for those inspired to take up the challenge: 

https://doughton.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/running-like-a-climber-big-day...

... and we DID make it to the pub  

SuperLee1985 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Great read, this sort of thing, tarted up a bit would be ideal for that 'Perfect Punters' idea that was suggested in that other thread.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Great effort,

Chris

TonyB 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

Thanks for posting this. I'm making a note of it as it would be great to try in the future. Are there other areas in Hard Rock that it would be feasible to complete in a day or in a weekend. 

OP Alex@home 08 Jun 2018
In reply to SuperLee1985:

I missed that. Did a quick search but can't see it. Do you have a link?

OP Alex@home 08 Jun 2018
In reply to TonyB:

Here's a list of the routes. Gogarth ones in a day maybe. Hmmm...

https://www.needlesports.com/needlesports/hardrock/hardrocklist.htm

TonyB 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Alex@home:

South west routes in a weekend looks feasible if you don't mind driving a reasonable amount.

OP Alex@home 08 Jun 2018
In reply to TonyB:

That could work. Might be better on week days though to avoid traffic and crowds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...