UKC

Did Steve Haston climb another 9a?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gilles 08 Feb 2013
So the reason for the post is the recent ukc newsflash of Dave Macleod climbing 8c after his return from injury. I remember reading on Stevie's blog towards the end of last year that he's succeeded on this big roof climb he somewhat apocryphally seemed to call Inch Reine.

http://steviehaston.blogspot.fr/2012/11/inch-rennes-by-stevie-haston.html

No grade is given, I take it it's in the grotte de sabart (extension of Reine de Sabart 8b??). That is speculation but anyway it got me thinking - what is more newsworthy, a 30 something pro climber doing 8c after injury or a 50 something climbing 9a (if that is indeed what he did). If there's a member of the ukc team who trawls the blogs of the elite climbers for newsworthy stuff then why no mention of Stevie? Is it because he's famously 'difficult' whereas Dave Mac isn't?

I'd say that great though it is that Dave is back on form and most of us can take something from his struggles having been injured at some time, isn't it even more impressive for everyone the wrong side of 40 that there's living proof that the game doesn't have to be up because of age.

Just a thought.
 ripper 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Gilles: Stevie certainly inspires the hell out of me!
 Simon Alden 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Gilles: I've got to know Stevie as I've done quite a bit of climbing with him over the past two years in Malta and Gozo as he's been developing many many new high quality sports routes up to 8b here. Definitely the man is inspirational and an example to all and the local climbers have been gobsmacked by his strength and drive! I just turned 50 myself and knowing that he's 56 years old :o and still "living the dream" has shown me that my limits are only in my head.
In reply to Gilles:

I think Stevie will still be climbing 8a and beyond when he's in his 70s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...