UKC

Dissertation Research - Questionnaire for Women - Now With Link

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mfisher 10 Feb 2013
Hi everyone, I am currently in my third year at the University of Cumbria and I am doing my dissertation on Gender Inequality in Rock Climbing.

I have been granted permission from UKC (1/2/13), this questionnaire is for women only and will take no longer than 5 minutes, this is much appreciated!

Thanks, Matty

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RGLH3P3

LaMentalist 10 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher:

Gender inequality ? I hope you've done a questionnaire for man blokes too then ? To equalise it ? No ? thats a bit sexist is it not ?

Typical male climbers attitude ....

And I'm telling .
OP mfisher 10 Feb 2013
In reply to LaMentalist: Because all of the literature I have looked up focuses on women in sport, I looking specifically at women climbers, and I am interviewing instructors of both genders, but thanks for trying to shoot down what I have put much time and effort into, Matty
 freerangecat 10 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher:

Hi Matty

I've just filled it in for you. I think maybe if you could define exactly what you mean by 'gender inequality' it would help - do you mean in terms of the number of women who climb, the attitudes of other climbers (male/female) towards women who climb, the fact that men maybe climb harder grades than women...?

Cat
 LaMentalist 10 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher:

Hello Matty I apologise , I was joshing I didn't mean to belittle any of your research or work & genuinely believe it is no doubt worthy of further works & research . Best of luck with it too . That said I believe these things can work both ways too . Please try not to take my comments personally though , no upset meant .

Leon
OP mfisher 10 Feb 2013
In reply to freerangecat: thanks for filling it in, I really appreciate it, with the literature I have looked into I have found trends that show males are and have always been the dominant gender in climbing with statistics, and others such as media representations and traditional/stereotypical values of women, I have also looked into the fact that there can be criticisms of both genders. Im hoping my research can give a 'bigger picture'

Also, Leon, No offense taken, its all good!

Thanks guys!

Noelle 10 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher:

Hi Matty,

One of the questions was tricky to answer, so I added an explanation. I do think that there is some inequality still in climbing, but it's a whole lot better than in other sports and wider society as a whole. Another option to that question might have made it an even better survey?
OP mfisher 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Noelle: thanks for the feedback!
The responses have been great so far, thanks to everyone who has filled out the questionnaire!
 peas65 10 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher:

Just done it, there is little detail you can gain from the answers though, more questions required in order to get more qualitative data, as if people do not feel equal, there is no opportunity for them to say why, and these reasons could be very different.

Also what inequality are you refering to? Ability inequality, access inequality, monetary inequality in going climbing, time inequality as females stay at home more?

Just trying to point out that there are many inequalities that effect whether females will climb and the questionnaire is not detailed enough to consider which are important.

Having said that i think its a potentially interesting area of study and these comments are not meant to be offensive just constructive.
OP mfisher 10 Feb 2013
In reply to peas65: My focus is on the participation side, but I do take on board what your saying, thanks for your comments
 Rachel Slater 10 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher:

I'm trying to answer this survey but finding a lot of questions difficult. On the grade question I only climb HVS-E2 normally on trad but consistently climb harder than 6b+ on sport so which should I answer? Also on who got me into rock climbing, my parents did and one is male and the other female, so which answer should I pick? On the last question I do feel equal to the males I climb with in terms of ability but in other ways no so which should I go for there? I think the options are too black and white when the questions aren't that simple.
OP mfisher 10 Feb 2013
In reply to r fizzle: Thanks for your feedback! I do appreciate it! I only had ten questions so it was difficult but you do have good points! cheers, Matty!
 pebbles 11 Feb 2013
In reply to r fizzle: think your survey on grades needs to be a bit more flexible, the range categories you have used are obviously a bit arbitrary, and dont allow more than one range to be selected which is going to skew the results if a significant amount of respondees actual range falls in between two of your categories
OP mfisher 11 Feb 2013
In reply to pebbles: Thanks for that, I'm starting to think I should have done a multiple answers question so that respondents could simply tick the grades for each discipline! cheers, Matty
 EeeByGum 11 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher: Blimey riley! Can you really form a dissertation on the back of asking random people (men or women - you will never know) if they think there is gender inequality in climbing?
OP mfisher 11 Feb 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: and interviewing experienced rock climbing instructors, and a 3500 word lit review that includes over 50 theorists giving their veiws.....yes, you can!
OP mfisher 11 Feb 2013
In reply to mfisher: Thanks to everyone who has responded to this questionnaire and helped me with my dissertation research, there has been some great feedback so far!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...