UKC

Dogging a route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ismisejoe 23 May 2023

Does anyone know where the phrase 

"Dogging a route" comes from?

It clearing has other connotations. I've always wondered?

Climber_Bill 23 May 2023
In reply to ismisejoe:

From the BMC website - Hangdogging: (aka Dogging): Falling or resting on protection, often repeatedly, in order to work out a sequence of moves. Not to be confused with something else.

Some more info here: https://www.metaphordogs.org/Dogs/entries/hangdogging.html

Sorry, they don't entirely answer your question.

Ned 23 May 2023

Hangdog means to look guilty or ashamed. I always assumed it was a bit of a pun for people hanging on the rope who should be looking guilty

In reply to Ned:

Dogging in climbing surely also has overtones of doing something repeatedly, continually, doggedly ('in a manner that shows tenacity and grim persistence.')

mrjonathanr 24 May 2023
In reply to ismisejoe:

Interesting suggestions above, but it originates from the manner of the first ascent of Hang Dog Flyer: https://www.mountainproject.com/route/116114628/hang-dog-flyer 

IIRC from Ray Jardine not immediately lowering to the ground when he fell off but practising the moves off the rope. The ethic of the time was to lower off immediately so no moves were practised with assistance from the rope, so that it functioned solely as a form of protection in case of a fall.

ebdon 24 May 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

"Grim persistance" I like that, it sums up a lot of my sport climbing efforts 🙄

Dave Garnett 24 May 2023
In reply to mrjonathanr:

> Interesting suggestions above, but it originates from the manner of the first ascent of Hang Dog Flyer: https://www.mountainproject.com/route/116114628/hang-dog-flyer 

> IIRC from Ray Jardine not immediately lowering to the ground when he fell off but practising the moves off the rope. The ethic of the time was to lower off immediately so no moves were practised with assistance from the rope, so that it functioned solely as a form of protection in case of a fall.

That's an interesting bit of history, but a bit circular in that presumably Jardine called it that because he dogged it, fell off a lot and wasn't all that proud of the style!

mrjonathanr 24 May 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

It’s where the term comes from because the Boulder crux at the end was hard to unlock yo-yoing.

Why he gave it that name I don’t know. Your guess is as good as mine!

robate 24 May 2023
In reply to mrjonathanr:

A hang dog look in general life is a downcast, sad appearance and a downcast dog has its head hanging down with a pathetic look; works for dogging a route I think

Post edited at 15:26
In reply to robate:

> A hang dog look in general life is a downcast, sad appearance and a downcast dog has its head hanging down with a pathetic look; works for dogging a route I think

Possibly but I feel that it all stems from the 'dogging':

"Every step Johnson took was dogged by reporters" Which conjures up images of terriers nipping at heels or even attached to trousers and having to be shaken off as well as the sense of being worried into submission by their persistent bothering of their prey.

The hanging bit is merely the facilitator of the dogged attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...