UKC

Easy Access crags for non drivers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PebblePusher 29 Jan 2013
Hi All,

So, I don't drive but would like to experience different crags and areas but this has proved quite tricky over the years! Does anyone have any ideas for crags or areas that me and the missus can visit where a car is not needed?

We are based in Sheffield and if you're prepared for a walk you can get to anything in Eastern Grit so anywhere else in the country really. Hoping to plan a long weekend away in March or April.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Chris
 kate8 29 Jan 2013
In reply to PebblePusher:
Helsby (trad) is about 20 mins uphill from Helsby village station. Lovely little crag with views over the mersey. From Manchester Piccadilly it's a 45 min train journey to Helsby on the line that heads off into North Wales.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1055
 tehmarks 29 Jan 2013

Most of Northumberland is pretty easy to access by public transport with a bit of effort, although most of it is also probably not worth a weekend away. There's a fair amount of grit around Leeds too which I can't imagine is too hard to get to (but I have no personal experience of trying).

Further afield, Avon Gorge is in the middle of Bristol, some of the tors on Dartmoor shouldn't be too difficult to access from Exeter if you go after the bus service starts, and Swanage is easy to get to from London by train.
 Nick Russell 29 Jan 2013

I'm in a similar position (though based in Bristol it's easy to get to Avon gorge). I'm looking at Portland as a good candidate for access by public transport. There's a train to Weymouth, and then a bus from there onto Portland itself. I think I'll be making that trip a few times this spring/summer.

I reckon Stanage has to be one of the easiest, right? Train to Hathersage then a shortish walk. The way I'd do it is train up on Friday night, camp at North Lees, climb for Saturday and Sunday morning, back on Sunday evening.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jan 2013

Get yourself established in Langdale or Llanberis. You can walk/hitch/bus to some great crags. Or try Tremadog, loads of stuff within a short walk.

Chris
 Motown 29 Jan 2013
In reply to tehmarks: Dartmoor for a weekend is manageable, but you would be limited by lack of transport. Perhaps get up to Hay Tor, camp in valley below Smallacombe Rocks, then cross to Hound Tor. Worth noting that hitching is pretty easy up there, as long as you look like friendly climbers, rather than jobbing psychopaths.

Torbay could be a good option. Hard sport at Anstey's, great limestone slabs at Telegraph Hole and Long Quarry,and perhaps the excitement of Berry Head.
 Motown 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Just saw post about Llanberis. Definitely do that.
 pebbles 29 Jan 2013
In reply to PebblePusher: among your easy days travel is almscliff. theres a rail station at weeton which is about 20 minutes walk from the crag
 Tom Valentine 29 Jan 2013
In reply to tehmarks:
> (In reply to PebblePusher)
>
> Most of Northumberland is ...... probably not worth a weekend away

Ha ha. Can you speak Rumanian?

EeeByGum 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Get yourself established in Langdale or Llanberis. You can walk/hitch/bus to some great crags. Or try Tremadog, loads of stuff within a short walk.

Seconded. The Coniston crags are also very accessible by bus from Windermere as is Keswick. Hitching is definitely the way forward in mountain regions. I got a brilliant lift about 100 yards out of Windermere station to Langdale. The guy wasn't even going there and still had time to drop me off en-route at Ambleside to get some chips!

From Manchester, a long bus ride or a short train ride to Greenfield gives you access to the whole Chew.
 Kid Spatula 29 Jan 2013

Caley? X84 out of Leeds, and about a minute of heather bashing.

I can confirm that Rylstone isn't easy access
OP PebblePusher 29 Jan 2013

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I will have to have a think.
 Lankyman 29 Jan 2013
In reply to PebblePusher: There is a rail station at Silverdale (Lancashire) http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1232681 which is a few minutes walk away from Trowbarrow (Jean Jeanie, Cracked Actor and many, many more) and also bouldering venues like Woodwell. It's also next to Leighton Moss RSPB reserve which has a cafe (or you can even go bird-watching).
 nniff 29 Jan 2013

Tremadog is easy - get the train to Porthmadog and walk from there. Camp or barn at the foot of the crag. Self cater or take a a shorter walk to the pub in tremadog in the evening and go to the cafe in the morning
 Al Evans 30 Jan 2013
In reply to PebblePusher: When I was a non driver all crags used to be easy access through trains , buses or hitch hiking. Now sadly in the first two cases expense has put a dampner on, the latter safety in this modern world has made it frowned on to either hitch hike or pick up hitch hikers.
By hitching from Sheffield I visited Corwall, North Wales, The Lakes, Scotland on a regular basis and returned from the Alps once my van share had to go back earlier than I needed to.
Around the Peak bus fairs were ridiculously cheap, you could get to Rivelin and Bell Hagg for twopence if you were still at school from almost anywhere in Sheffield on 'The Circular' bus which terminated at the Norfolk Arms below Rivelin though it did take a bit of time (if it was a godamawful rainy day we sometimes used to get 'the circular' and just sit on it all the way round till the stop we got on at).
I think Fox House was sixpence, and Burbage and Millstone Lawrencfield etc were easily done from there. Stanage was fourpence to Redmires.
But even though fares were cheap we still used to hitch hike if possible.
The we discovered the bus to Stoney Middleton and Froggatt was or oyster, along with Stoney itself just as it became the capital of UK climbing.
 silhouette 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> ... bus which terminated at the Norfolk Arms below Rivelin

Well the buses still run; it's the pubs which have been shutting down! The Norfolk Arms is no more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...