UKC

Egerton theme park ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GeoffM 13 Oct 2012
 Calder 13 Oct 2012
In reply to GeoffM:

Please God, no. This would be apalling.

Where's this Cox Green Quarry where the dead man was found? Is it just some quarry related news they decided to add in just to make the word count?!
 Enty 13 Oct 2012
In reply to GeoffM:

canoeing on the lake

Ha ha!!

E
In reply to GeoffM: A DISUSED quarry? ha. hope the BMC get involved with whoever buys it assuming they haven't already got a bid in for it
 Calder 13 Oct 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I'm thinking a council/wildlife organisation type country park thing would be a decent outcome. The BMC having a stake in it would be ideal.
J1234 14 Oct 2012
In reply to GeoffM:
It`s an overgrown dump that is under used as a climbing venue, on a Summers evening the Wiltons, Brownstones, West View, Awesome, Troy Etal will be packed and you can have Egerton pretty much to yourself, which is nice, but hardly justifies a cry of outrage from the outdoor/climbing community (BMC). Look at this http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=326 there are about 6 routes that I could pretty much have named without looking that are getting climbed sometimes, 10 maybe 20 ascents a year, and some easy peasies that are getting climbed probably by newbies with a brick on a first and last visit. I know that more people climb there than are listed on the link as I climb with some of them, but the fact is the climbing community IMHO has voted with it`s feet that it does not want Egerton.
If you or anyone else thinks differently and wants to start an initiative to save it without using BMC money I will support you and give some help.
Cheers sjc
 Al Evans 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to highclimber)
>
> I'm thinking a council/wildlife organisation type country park thing would be a decent outcome. The BMC having a stake in it would be ideal.

Of course Pex Hill is like that and works ok for climbers.
 Dauphin 14 Oct 2012
In reply to GeoffM:

It is a shit hole now although site of much of a mispent childhood soloing easy stuff after watching some real climbers there one evening in about '79 '80. Type A's have been lobbing themselves off the edges to a painful demise for decades.

D
 Mark Collins 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to GeoffM)
>
> Please God, no. This would be apalling.
>
> Where's this Cox Green Quarry where the dead man was found? Is it just some quarry related news they decided to add in just to make the word count?!

Cox Green aka Egerton.
 Pekkie 16 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Calder)
> >
> 'Of course Pex Hill is like that and works ok for climbers.'

Unfortunately, with the recent cuts, Council involvement is not a viable option. Pex was once a country park with a Council run ranger service but that was axed and the rangers converted to wardens for run-down council estates. You can't really blame a cash-strapped Council with serious problems of deprivation for making such a decision. The problem is running costs. The owners, the water board, replace fence palings to cover insurance but that is it. As with any crag in or close to an urban area you get problems of litter, broken glass, graffiti, raves etc. The Conservation Volunteers occasionally carry clean ups of rubbish, glass etc but it is not enough. Options include the use of volunteer climbers as at Wilton and joining forces with the local community as at Harmers Wood near Helsby. Not easy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...