UKC

Emergency!! Fontainebleau Guidebook Situation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayK 27 Oct 2013
Currently sat in bed (it's raining) in font. We've forgotten the bloody guidebook. Does anyone know where we might be able to get one?

Jim
In reply to JimmyKay: just go and climb some boulders. you don't need a guidebook. that fallacy has been purported for many years by...yes, guidebook writers!
 Oli 27 Oct 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:
Decathlon possibly, or the man in a van at Cuvier.
 Oli 27 Oct 2013
Or the outdoor shop in font itself.
 dontfollowme 27 Oct 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:

Might be worth dropping Neil a call at http://maisonbleau.com/ to see if he has any. When I've stayed there in the past he had some for sale.
OP JayK 27 Oct 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:

Awesome replies. Thanks for the speed. Going in to Fontaine to check the outdoor shop first. Then might pop to Decathlon. Will check if it's open on Sunday's first.

Could be worse. Could still be at home in Birmingham...

Currently can't climb anyway because it's pretty torrential.

Cheers again!
 mhawk 27 Oct 2013
In reply to JimmyKay: they sold them on tourist information centre in font a while ago. Also sell them at musardier (?) campsite.
 rj_townsend 27 Oct 2013
In reply to mhawk: They've got some for sale in the office at the Le Grez campsite.
OP JayK 31 Oct 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:

Just thought I'd post an update to this thread in case anyone is ever in the same predicament.

We tried everywhere and they all seemed to stock the new white guidebook which is excellent for circuits but not much else.

Anyway after almost giving up on the 7+8's guide we went back to tourist information and they told us about an English bookshop just round the corner. They stocked it! In fact they had loads of copies of 5+6 and 7+8's! The lady who owned it was mega nice (and obviously has the right business model!) The shop is called Reelbooks and is just round the corner from the mansion in the centre.
 SteveoS 31 Oct 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:

JingoWobbly for sale at the La Belle Etoile.
 ByEek 01 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to JimmyKay) just go and climb some boulders. you don't need a guidebook. that fallacy has been purported for many years by...yes, guidebook writers!

Sadly, if you don't know the area, you could end up walking through a lot of forest not finding any boulders. Even if you do have a guide, some areas are pretty hard to find.
 Doug 01 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek: But the IGN 1:25 000 map does show where the climbing areas are, coupled with the info on the web it is possible to manage without a guidebook (although I have several)
 ByEek 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Doug:
> (In reply to ByEek) But the IGN 1:25 000 map does show where the climbing areas are,

True, but I guess the shop that would sell you the map will also sell you the guidebook?
 BossHog 01 Nov 2013
In reply to JimmyKay: Theres a small but decent climbing shop in font itself!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...