UKC

Eric Byrne Campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 20 Jul 2020

Has anyone stayed here in the past couple of weeks? Is it open? Is the NT carpark at the bottom open? Was it busy?

Ta! 

Offwidth 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Paul Jepson

I don't know what is happening now but at the end of 2019 it had gone upmarket and I think you needed to book.

Stoneylad 20 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

It's not open at the moment . Rang up last weekend and guy said probably won't open til end of the month . Car park is open

deacondeacon 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

> In reply to Paul Jepson

> I don't know what is happening now but at the end of 2019 it had gone upmarket and I think you needed to book.

Upmarket? That must have taken some work! A real shame, it was such a good campsite and brilliant for not having any cars anywhere near. ☹️

OP PaulJepson 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Stoneylad:

Oh no! In that case, can anyone recommend a fairly low-key campsite (i.e. not full of kids and caravans) in the general vicinity of the Eastern Edges? North Lees looks rammo. 

And to be fair, EB's set a pretty low bar; I doubt they have gone that upmarket. Maybe a bar of soap in the wash block. 

Post edited at 14:18
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Has anyone stayed here in the past couple of weeks? Is it open? Is the NT carpark at the bottom open? Was it busy?

> Ta! 

Btw it "Eric Byne" - well known Peak District pioneer and guidebook editor (as nobody else bothered)

Chris

Offwidth 20 Jul 2020
In reply to deacondeacon:

As I've said before here, I need to wear glasses more... read Eric Jones. 

tom r 21 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

ha ha it certainly could not be called glamping when I stayed there getting on 20 years ago. A small fairly grotty toilet with a tap and the farmer coming round early in the morning saying 'camp fees' outside each tent.  

Andypeak 21 Jul 2020
In reply to tom r:

It was exactly the same when I last stayed a year or two ago. I even had a to turn the water supply on and off at the mains each time unused the facilities. 

Hutson 21 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Pretty similar when we camped there in September 2019 (didn't have to turn water on at the mains though). The farmer's wife even chased a retreating DofE group over the fields because she didn't think they'd paid. The toilets don't have electricity.

I really like how you can camp away from cars/caravans.

Though occasionally there are cows with calves between the tent and the toilet, and at least once I've seen someone hurriedly vault the wall into the camping field when chased.

Baz P 24 Jul 2020
In reply to tom r:

it sounds a lot more upmarket than in the 1960’s when it was Ben’s barn. You dossed on whatever straw you could muster and had rats running over you all night. 

leland stamper 25 Jul 2020
In reply to tom r:

Sounds like paradise.

Baz P 25 Jul 2020
In reply to leland stamper:

It was for the rats. New tid bits every weekend. 

Martin Hore 26 Jul 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Any updates? I'm hoping to stay this coming weekend. I can't find a phone number other than the Nat Park Office to check if it's open.

Many thanks

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...