UKC

Excerpt - Chapter One.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 15 Aug 2018

It had started out as a light hearted comment, a bit of sarcastic jest.

Now the ramifications were staring me in the face.

I was boxed into a situation that was was rapidly getting beyond my control. Other forces were now conspiring to turn an awkward situation into possible humiliation.

Should I stick to my current line, or look for an alternative route, one that would at least allow me to save face?

My stance was becoming more uncomfortable by the minute, as I shifted uneasily inside my predicament.

The temperature was also becoming decididly frosty. A chill wind was starting to blow in from seemingly all directions.

Retreat was certainly a possibility, but I hadn't come this far, just to back off at the first sign of difficulty. Besides, ego and vanity were also now getting in on the act. 

My fingers reached out tentatively for a sequence which might work, but then, uncertain, pulled back before actually committing to the moves.

Confidence in my ability to extracate myself from difficult situations began to evaporate, as my brain clutched at ever thinner straws.

And amidst all this, I could see the great and the good of climbing looking down at me, with wry smiles on their faces.

Welcome to the machine, son.

Welcome, to UKC.

Michael Hood 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Just in case you hadn't realised, you can actually write.

We await the finished product with anticipation of a great read but also understand that it will take some time.

Don't give up.

Phil Anderson 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

LOL! Superb!

If that's how you write about writing, I can't wait to see how you write about climbing.

bouldery bits 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

I hope you were contributing to wider society whilst typing that.

And I hope you had no safety net of any kind, whether that be physical, metaphorical or both. 

67hours 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Off belay!

bensilvestre 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Classic

OP Goucho 15 Aug 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I hope you were contributing to wider society whilst typing that.

I bought a book online just before I started, does that count?

> And I hope you had no safety net of any kind, whether that be physical, metaphorical or both. 

I've been in the doghouse with Mrs G for the past two days. Trust me, there are few things more worrying than that!

BusyLizzie 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

"... as I shifted uneasily inside my predicament." - love it!!

GridNorth 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Brilliant!

Al

bouldery bits 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Hahah! Been there mate. 

Would rather be facing a 25ft whipper on a 0.5 nut!

toad 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Beautiful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...