UKC

Fastburn, Flat Crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 12 Jul 2013
The upper wall of this looks bold as, is there any gear up there? How easy is it to combine this with some routes onNeckband crag?
 Adam Lincoln 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:

Give us a shout if you are keen for Lakes stuff. Easy drive down from here.
 Rick Graham 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:
> The upper wall of this looks bold as, is there any gear up there? How easy is it to combine this with some routes onNeckband crag?

At the risk of being trolled, most climbers find sufficient clues to answer the above questions in the FRCC guidebooks.

Further clues hidden under the Logbooks button on this page.
 Graeme Read 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:
Without giving too much away......I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

It's a great route too, as is Flat Iron Wall next to it
 Jon Stewart 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Graeme Read:

I'm really keen to get up there and do these routes, and the conditions are here - get in!
 Seymore Butt 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:
did fastburn and flat iron wall today, just go for it you'll be pleasantly surprised. excellent pitches on both routes. To combine Neckband and these routes will require a long day I should think and its hot, but i'm a pensioner so have an excuse.
Al
ps no midges either
 Dave Warburton 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler: There are some absolute stonkers at Neckband, thoroughly recommended. There's an E2 variation on a E3 that I honest felt was one of the best pitches i've ever done.
 Dave Musgrove 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:

The start of Fastburn is the crux, passing the dubious spike. It may be worth combining the start of of Flat Iron Wall to the upper slab for an even better and less worrying trip?
OP Tyler 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:

This was bit more harrowing than expected! First groove was trivial, spike seemed solid enough to pull on and there was plenty of gear around, it honestly felt HVS. The next bit seemed disappointingly eliminate, the obvious thing would be to traverse into the crack I went up a couple of tricky slab moves and then ended up in the crack. After that two brilliant runners and one poor one (could have backed it up with a medium friend if I had one) took me to the big ledge where I expected to get some gear - nothing! I stepped back on to the wall on the left, still nothing but feeling bold I climbed up that wall (now over 30 feet above my poor runner) and my feet shot off just as I reached the break. It should have all been over at this point but I didn't have anything to go in the break so I did some tricky traversing moves rightwards so that if I did come off I would at least stand a chance of hitting the ledge. All in all it felt quite run out at the top although it was compounded by my lack of medium friends.

Flat Iron Wall also felt a bit miserly at e1 5a
 Graeme Read 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Tyler:
Sounds like you had fun! From the big ledge I managed to place a good sideways rock 5 which was enough to allow me to enjoy the finishing moves, but like you say, without some medium sized friends combined with not placing the sideways rock 5 you would be looking at some whipper! All good fun and fairly steady climbing though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...