UKC

Filey Brigg ++

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 01 Apr 2019

Anyone climbed at Filey Brigg lately? it appears in my "climbing in NE England" guide but doesn't seem to have any climbs logged here in recent years and I just wondered if it was in a fit state to climb?

Also an recommendations for climbing (sport / trad) in ~1hours drive from Filey would be great.

Ta!

Offwidth 01 Apr 2019
In reply to gravy:

Last I heard it was fine (a couple of years ago).

jkarran 01 Apr 2019
In reply to gravy:

I haven't been for years but in general it's tidal, storm-lashed, the mud comes down in winter, it's bitter cold especially in an easterly and there have been missing hangers for as long as it's been bolted. That said, if it's reasonably dry and it hasn't all washed away yet it's cracking fun, you usually just have to go look see what state it's in I'm afraid. Watkin's Ale is a cracker!

The NYM sandstone is very good, mostly bouldering and trad.

jk

OP gravy 01 Apr 2019
In reply to jkarran:

"hasn't all washed away" - that's what I was wondering!

Dave Warburton 01 Apr 2019
In reply to gravy:

within an hour of Filey, up the A171 you have Smuggler's Terrace and Stoupe Brow - both described pretty thoroughly on UKC crag pages and climbonline uk : http://www.climbonline.co.uk/north_york_moors1.htm... both are venues which have seen a great deal of development in the last 4 or 5 years with Smuggler's Terrace providing a bit more through the grades.

Bridestones on the eastern Moors at Dalby Forest will provide a pleasant days soloing/bouldering on interesting, occasionally sandy rock.

A good hours drive will get you up onto Blakey Ridge where you have access to Ravenswick (limestone bouldering & some minor trad), Oak Crag - pleasant setting but only a small crag, Round Crag - hard climbing everywhere you look plus a decent moorland bouldering venue called Duck Boulders.

To get around to the better known crags of Park Nab, Wainstones, Ravenscar, Scugdale or Highcliffe you are looking at 90minutes, perhaps a little bit more.

OP gravy 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave Warburton:

Fantastic - thanks! I've just come across Smuggler's as well and this looks like a good call.

Ben C 10 Apr 2019
In reply to gravy:

Had a look at some of them in February seemed ok. The fishermen’s ladder was in worse condition but who knows the state of the bolts corrosion wise?! I was only looking up mind not climbing them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...