UKC

First year climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Suncream 12 May 2019

Just over a year ago, a friend took me indoor bouldering. Then in June, another friend took me top roping outside. In September, I did my first trad lead (Flying Buttress I think). Today I led my first HVS, Tower Face (not onsight - backed off before the crux as I'm still a bit scared of falling on nuts. Then top roped it, then led it clean. Still counts?)

In that time, I've also started scrambling, and managed to get four winter trips in too, which is a lot in hindsight given the long drive from Cambridge to anywhere.

Yesterday, my partner (who's had a very similar progression to me, albeit 2 grades lower) bought a bouldering pad and we did a bit. Not sure it's my favourite style of climbing but it's ok.

I'm not sure exactly what's next for my climbing journey. A friend's invited me to do the cuillin traverse with him in a few weeks. At some point I'd like to try alpine climbing too, but maybe not this year. I've also never been sport climbing (which an American friend found amusing) so maybe I should give that a go at Portland?

How quickly did you  in lot progress in climbing? I feel like it's very quickly become the only thing I think about.

Mark Haward 12 May 2019
In reply to Suncream:

Congratulations, sounds like you have had a busy and awesome year.

To answer your question, How quickly did you  in lot progress in climbing? :

For myself, I am still progressing after forty years of it. So many new areas to visit, skills to develop and learn, knowledge development especially from how climbers in other countries approach their climbing, ways to have types 1 and 2 fun. Big multi pitch routes, multi day routes, alpine summer, alpine winter, ski mountaineering, greater ranges... I already have several life times of wish list routes and areas. Then comes the biggest learning curve, how to maintain the fitness and still get loads done whilst juggling family, career, house moves, ageing relatives and other sporting interests... Enjoy!

GrahamD 12 May 2019
In reply to Suncream:

If you're based in Cambridge have you thought about getting involved with any of the club's? I know with our club there are regular day and weekend trips. I think a few guys  are doing an Alps trip in a couple of weeks and the caving section look to be plotting a trip to Bulgaria 

Derry 12 May 2019
In reply to Suncream:

For me, and a lot of my climbing peers it was all about grades to start with. Both in sport and trad. But then you naturally plateau and just bumping up one grade in 6 months seems a huge achievement. Then redpointing your (sport) project and holding on to that two finger crimp for 4 extra seconds seems like a huge achievement. You soon realise you need to train hard, look after your nutrition etc if you want to really keep progressing through the grades.

I never really got into this latter mindset. I realised I'm happy to climb anything, in any discipline, at any grade (below my limit) as long as it's enjoyable and I'm with friends. My ideal is a long multipitch, about HS/VS that just goes on and on with great belay ledges and views, and a pub close by. 

My point being, you seem to be on a pretty good journey already, and not just focusing on grades like I did.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...