UKC

For the hardcore/very bored: Kylmää Kiveä

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 04 Oct 2020

If you can't go climbing, really want to go climbing, and have watched most available films of other people going climbing, here's another one that most won't have seen: Kylmää Kiveä or "Cold Rock: the story of Finnish Climbing". https://areena.yle.fi/1-3014051

It's currently available to watch anywhere in the world on the Finnish equivalent of BBC iPlayer - but the only catch is, because this is on Finnish TV, this is the non-subtitled version so you get to practice your Finnish! There is a little bit in English towards the end when it moves on to bouldering, the new generation, and Nalle Hukkataival, where they interview Dave Graham and show some footage of Nalle competing. That starts around 36 minutes in. There is some footage of Nalle on what would become the Burden of Dreams in that section. Also worth watching for the excellent footage is from about 20 mins in, where the film shows Olhava, probably still the best crag in Finland and has footage of someone climbing the amazing arete of Kantti (E2 5b) - which surely would make it into most people's top ten single pitch routes anywhere.

(it seems you can get the subtitled version on Vimeo as video on demand, but it's 6 quid...)

Post edited at 16:26
 jon 04 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I remember your photo of Kantti and thinking that it would almost justify a trip north on its own! Is it really as good as it looks?

Tyler 04 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Presumably the interview with Dave Graham is the least decipherable bit of the film for English speakers?

Post edited at 18:29
OP TobyA 04 Oct 2020
In reply to jon:

I've never led it because although it has a couple of bolts it's still quite run out. TobyFK who knows his beans reckoned E2 5b captured it. But I've seconded it a few times and it is totally amazing climbing. The routes on the big face to it's left are pretty special as well, I've battled up most the crack lines on it. I think you can do them all on a 50 mtr rope but only just. It's sort of the epitome of single pitch trad to me. I really miss autumn trips there - going in October were some of the best climbing weekends of my life. I went to Horseshoe this morning, some of the leaves were yellow and red, but somehow not quite the same as Olhava!  

More photos of Olhava in this old blog post and a link to a flikr album with a few more pics! https://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2009/10/olhava-great.html

Post edited at 18:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...