UKC

Grampians (australia) Access issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simonfreeman83 17 Mar 2019

GRAMPIANS

Please could users take a second to.dign this petition to suspend climbing bans in the Grampians National Park in Australia.

There are complex cultural issues involved here, details can be found at www.savegrampiansclimbing.org, but the crux of the issue is major mismanagement by the parks department, zero consultation or evidence to back up their claims. 

We are in danger of losing some of the best climbing in the world due to lazy bureaucratic decision making.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-climbing-from-being-banned-in-the-grampians

Offwidth 17 Mar 2019
In reply to Simonfreeman83:

Signed

You had a slightly wrong url

https://savegrampiansclimbing.org

In reply to Simonfreeman83:

>>There are complex cultural issues involved here, details can be found at www.savegrampiansclimbing.org, 

Seems a bit odd, but the details on that site don't mention drilling and bolting of aboriginal cultural sites without any prior discussions....

danm 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> >>There are complex cultural issues involved here, details can be found at www.savegrampiansclimbing.org, 

> Seems a bit odd, but the details on that site don't mention drilling and bolting of aboriginal cultural sites without any prior discussions....

Can you link the evidence for this? What I'm hearing from down under, is that some poorly evidenced accusations are being used to enforce a blanket ban with the aim of monetizing access to the national park. The park website itself outlines the plan for a ticketing scheme which will produce income, mainly from building a large, intrusive trail, and banning other users who partake in what they consider to be fringe activities.

So any evidence you have which counters the information I'm getting from the locals might counter my scepticism of the parks motives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...