UKC

/ Gran Canaria

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Wiley Coyote2 - on 12 Feb 2018

Anybody climbed in Gran Canaria? Mrs C and I are going walking there but I see there is plenty of climbing too. Is it worth persuading her that her 'holiday' should become 'a trip'?

NaCl - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

My OH and I were out there last Christmas for a couple of weeks. Nice enough and fun but I'd probably not go back if I'm honest. If you've got the luggage space do it but I would not make a special trip definitely.

What sort of info are you looking for or just general stuff.

Wiley Coyote2 - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to NaCl:

Thanks for the reply. Looking for a general assessment really. I've had a trip to Spain already this winter and will be going to Kaly and Cornwall over the next few months so I am getting my share of 'trips'.  Mrs C, who does as  climb but nothing like as much as I do,  and I are having a walking holiday in Gran Canaria. She is keen for a 'holiday' as opposed to a climbing trip. I agreed, mainly because I was not aware of any climbing. However, on Googling it I see there is a guidebook so I was just wondering if it was enough to justify reopening negotiations about perhaps taking the gear. If it's good I would chance my arm, if not I'll opt for getting a few brownie points instead.

NaCl - on 13 Feb 2018

Maybe we went to wrong areas and did the wrong routes but I'd skip it and bag the brownie points personally. While some bits were very pretty I thought the climbing was mostly a little meh. Just my opinion though

In reply to NaCl:

Thanks. Sounds like good advice. Brownie points always welcome....though I can never seem to find them when I need them.

trouserburp - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to NaCl:

I don't know sitting on top of Roque Nueblo was pretty special

In reply to trouserburp:

> I don't know sitting on top of Roque Nueblo was pretty special

Tell me more

Kirill - on 13 Feb 2018

Take the kit if you have space for it. The rock is quite unusual, so worth it just for experiencing something different. It will also give you excuse to go to different places from the usual tourist trails. Not a major climbing destination, but nice to mix in one or two climbing days into your holiday itinerary.

Post edited at 15:48
trouserburp - on 13 Feb 2018

Big rock at the highest point of the island. Main route is 2 pitches of 6b, quite hard for the grade and much harder than it looks but bolts are so close together you could aid it (really). Hundreds of tourists watching you at the start.

There's a bunch of other climbs up there including the best slabs we saw

One of the most memorable sunsets I have seen, very vivid blues and purples for some reason

rumblesan on 13 Feb 2018

Went year before last with some friends and had a great time. Some of the crags were a bit crap and chossy, but the stuff in the centre of the island ( Tamadaba) in the national park was good with some amazing views. We made friends with a local who took us to his favourite crag ( Sorrueda) in a little canyon. Guide book wasn't great but was usable.

Personally I'd happily go back as there's plenty to go at in the grades I climb

Wiley Coyote2 - on 15 Feb 2018

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated

Chris Craggs - on 15 Feb 2018

I'm not sure where you will be stopping but it worth knowing that the roads in the interior are tortuous - like 25mph average tortuous - so getting anywhere away from the coastal ring-road can take a surprising time,

Chris

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.