UKC

Great Western Rock Rocks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 11 Feb 2019

I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have worked hard on the Great Western Rock North Somerset Outcrops Vol 1 guide.  I had a great day today at  Sand Point dividing my time between fossil hunting and easy pottering.  So thanks to Mark Davies for helming, all those who took photos, all those who new routed and Dick's for stocking.  Great stuff folks!

Before he gets there first - I've ordered my own copy now Bald Eagle!

gobbledigook 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Ahh!

I agree, another beautiful Great Western Rock publication, I'm sure Mark appreciates our support... Even if he does bitch like an old woman!

Buying local guidebooks puts money back into the hands of local climbers, and that in turn just encourages new routes and development of crags for is all to enjoy 😍

leland stamper 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Aahhh Sand Point! The new (miniature) Pembroke and it's not polished yet! Brilliant guidebook. Loving the location descriptions. North Somerset is the place to be this summer

deepstar 12 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Well said Bobling, at last, mention of North Somerset Outcrops, volume 1 on UKC. I knew Mark would'nt self publicise his latest literary effort ( apart from the fact that he's probably banned again). The effort he puts into these guidebooks is amazing and the quality of the photos and text outstanding.

BALD EAGLE 12 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

> I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have worked hard on the Great Western Rock North Somerset Outcrops Vol 1 guide.  I had a great day today at  Sand Point dividing my time between fossil hunting and easy pottering.  So thanks to Mark Davies for helming, all those who took photos, all those who new routed and Dick's for stocking.  Great stuff folks!

> Before he gets there first - I've ordered my own copy now Bald Eagle!

Not before time Bobling and glad you have great day out! And I believe North Somerset Outcrops Vol 2 should be going live later this year so everyone local to the area buy a copy as it will be ace! Cheers Dave

gooberman-hill 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Where would I find a copy?

Steve

remus Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Dick's Climbing in Bristol is a reliable source https://www.dicksclimbing.com/collections/climbing-guidebooks-southern-engl...

I think I'm right in saying Dick is one half of the publishing company, Great Western Rock.

The Ivanator 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Great little guide, well chuffed to see my first ascents at Sand Point in print. The quality of my exquisite little VS at Middle Hope Cove Sandweto (VS 4b) is recognised with a star

Great photography, including a stunning cover shot. Both my chilly forays outside this year have been inspired by the new guide - Bilbo (HS 4a) at Goblin was an interesting outing and Pipe Music (S) at Sand Point is a great little offering.

Post edited at 08:59
OP Bobling 14 Feb 2019
In reply to The Ivanator:

And thank you for that route!  I only intended to try the first holds but couldn't stop myself!  

Post edited at 11:43
 gobbledigook 16 Feb 2019

I had a great time yesterday with the Pylon King showing off a crag I would have written off as too hard for me, and getting a couple of pics for vol 2 👌😎

leland stamper 16 Feb 2019
In reply to gobbledigook:

looking good in the photos Mr G

pasbury 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

While checking out the website I found a link to this absolute gem of a video.

vimeo.com/239419875

Local, chossy, green, cobwebby, small and with a pervasive smell of damp. Also I can dick about on it in my lunch break, so it’s great!

Tom F Harding 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Bobling = urgles = pylon king =

leland stamper 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Tom F Harding:good effort but not quite there.

OP Bobling 18 Feb 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Great find!  Really interesting to see the interviews with the Frome Valley Pioneers. 

And no, I'm not the artist formerly known as Dark Mavies, The Pylon King, or Urgles doing a bit of shady self-promotion ; )

petegunn 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Does this guide cover crags like Mells, Crosscombe, Sandford Quarry etc?

Thanks Pete

leland stamper 18 Feb 2019
In reply to petegunn:that one is in the pipeline. Vol 2 Sometime end of this year, early next if I have listened correctly

BALD EAGLE 18 Feb 2019
In reply to petegunn:

> Does this guide cover crags like Mells, Crosscombe, Sandford Quarry etc?

> Thanks Pete

Hi Pete
I've been helping Mark out with the aerial images for his GWR guides and the crags featured in Volume 1 include Blaise Castle, Goblin Coombe, Portishead Quarry and Sand Point.  However of those crags you mention above I'm pretty sure most if not all, along with many other local crags, will be featured in Volume 2 which should be released later this year!

Cheers

Dave 

PaulJepson 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Bobling:

I'm hoping Dinder Wood will be in Vol2. Went to have a look there in the rain once and it looks to have some very good short trad potential. Approach was easy (certainly didn't need an OS map, as the guide we had suggested..........). Just not enough traffic on it it seems. 

Xavierpercy 18 Feb 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Dinder will go in. A very nice crag with some real gems.

petegunn 18 Feb 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks Dave

Looking forward to Vol II 🤗

Lots of excellent little esoteric crags to explore I am sure! 

Post edited at 18:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...