UKC

/ Greenland for wimps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
David Coley - on 23 Jan 2017
Many people think that places like Greenland are only for the big Boys and Girls. Well, a bunch of us went there last summer and lived, so it should be on everyone's tick list.

https://www.coldmountainkit.com/knowledge/articles/the-british-route-on-nalumasortoq-greenland/
steveprice.exmouth - on 26 Jan 2017
In reply to David Coley:

This is a really fun write-up - nicely self-depreciating, and very useful on how to deal with bear threats......Recommended.
David Coley - on 28 Jan 2017
In reply to steveprice.exmouth:

Thanks!
Sean Kelly - on 10 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

It might get more hits David if posted as an article on the UKC site, rather than just Cold Mountain. there are quite a few articles already about climbing on Greenland from this year alone. Of course it helps if you have an epic!
jeremyvanr on 10 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Feel the love Dave
EllieWoods - on 11 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Great write up Dave 😀 Unforgettable trip.
David Coley - on 14 Feb 2017
In reply to EllieWoods:

Thanks
Mick Ward - on 14 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Great trip report!

> The flake is hollow, stuck to the rock by magic. I wrap the ab’ tat around it, thump it a few times and thread the ropes. There is a side of me, a very sick side, which likes the thought of what might happen next.

How well I know this feeling which, I'm sure, many of us have... though we rarely admit it.

Mick
BusyLizzie on 14 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Wonderful article. But you guys are very definitely Big Boys, despite what you say!!!
ClimberEd - on 15 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Great article.

Having done a skiing version near Sisimiut a couple of years ago I wonder if it would be worth UKC putting together a 'destination logistics' guide for popular but esoteric destinations.
We had a pig of a time trying to find info before we went, and luckily everything worked out well, but a couple of key contacts in advance for logisitics - boats, snowmobiles and the like, and some accurate knowledge about what we could and couldn't expect to buy when we got there would have made the world of difference.
David Coley - on 16 Feb 2017
In reply to ClimberEd:

We split the organisational side amongst the group. One person wrote a kind of mini, summary, guide to the place. He might be willing to form that into an article, or mini-guide if asked I guess.
Wil Treasure - on 13 Mar 2017
In reply to ClimberEd:

I compiled the "guide" that David mentioned.

I've put quite a bit of the information and some other thoughts on my blog, which also has a database of routes that I made so that others can add extra info on repeats. I made a short pdf guide for our team with some further information, I'll post that up once I can swap the pics out as they aren't mine to use.

http://gwirion.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/tasermiut-route-database.html

Wil
Red Rover - on 14 Mar 2017
In reply to David Coley:

That's not a polar bear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.