UKC

Grigri + for left handers...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BernNolan 03 Apr 2018

Any left handed belayers got to grips with lowering off with the grigri+ (or any grigri for that matter)?  Just a little bit twitchy about trying to learn to use my right hand for lowering whilst trying to get used to the device from scratch...  Might be looking to sell it.

d_b 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

I had a look at one a while ago but the right handed design was a deal breaker for me too.

DaveHK 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

I've not used a grigri+ but have used a grigri as a left hander for years with no issues. 

Alex Riley 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

I'm not left handed but belay left handed. I don't find it too bad, but I do need to concentrate a little harder when belaying with a grigri.

wbo 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

Yes, use a grigri as a lefthander and its just fine 

achaplin 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

The first multi-pitch climb I did showed the limitations of only belaying in one orientation.  If you are jammed in a corner you may have to use the other hand. As soon as I was back at the wall I made an effort to learn to belay with hands the other way round. It doesn't take long to get used to it.

In reply to BernNolan:

You may be better off with one of the many none chiral assisted devices now available. Understandably, lefties struggle with gri gris and they are very easy (almost intuitive) to misuse. 

Try the new bd plate for example, recommended by Jeremy Corbyn. 

FactorXXX 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Try the new bd plate for example, recommended by Jeremy Corbyn. 

Available in any colour that you like as long as it's red.

wert 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan: you can use an Edelrid eddy left or right handed.

gejones 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

Another leftie here who's used an original grigri for years without issue, it's my device of choice for sport. You'll adapt in no time. I have wondered if a left handed version would be better; but concluded it would probably be as awkward as left handed scissors

bensilvestre 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

I'm a lefty and never had any issues with a grigri. Pretty straightforward stuff, and I'm generally useless with my right hand for anything that requires dexterity 

jon 03 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

How are they right handed? You have to do something with both hands. Both are equally important. It's simple coordination, not favouring one hand over the other.

gravy 03 Apr 2018

Use something else - a smart or click-up is perfectly symmetrical

SGD 04 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

I'm also left handed and currently use a GriGri2 as my sport belay device.

I belay left handed as a rule but can if need be swap to right handed if the situation dictates. Petzl have issued some left handed best practice guidance which is not an easy as belaying right handed imo.

When it comes to lowering on the GriGri2 I immediately switch to right handed which is completely natural thing to do as you also need to operate the brake lever to control the descent and this will be in your left hand.

See if you can borrow one at your local wall and see if it works for you?

OP BernNolan 04 Apr 2018

Thanks everyone for some great advice!  I'll make an effort to learn right handed belaying....

Toerag 04 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

>   I'll make an effort to learn right handed belaying....

It's not like you're trying to write is it? You'll be fine, as a leftie you'll already be used to coping in a right-handed world.

BrendanO 09 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

Another lefty here.

For CWA I was encouraged strongly to buy a GriGri (quicker than prusiks for indoor emergencies), and was also made to learn to belay righthanded. I can now belay either way, GriGri still not my fve but can use fine. Lowering is easy...and you could always belay LH but lower RH.

Eddy and Click-up seem nicer, tho GG ubiquitous.

mutt 09 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

just in-case an alternative is required, I have an alpine up which in-common with the other mentioned alternatives is locking but also has a lever for progressive lowering that doesn't favour righties or lefties. It can also be used to dynamically belay (i.e. not lock) should that be required.

MarkDavies36 09 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

Have a look here - video showing left-handed method https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/VIDEO---Specific-left-handed-technique?P...

two_tapirs 10 Apr 2018
In reply to BernNolan:

I'm a left hander but as soon as I started trad and multi-pitch, I realised that I had to be comfortable and safe in using either hand.  It doesn't take long to master, especially when you're forced into the situation and have no choice but to belay on your less dominant/preferred side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...